[SOLVED] I need mod a power supply for the HP Z440

Jan 31, 2021
I have a problem with my HP z440 power supply. I tried to buy a cable to connect from the ATX power supply. but I can't buy it. the replacement product was too expensive for me. I have not found any documentation about Z440 power supply unit. so I can't make cables. Please help me

Solution
As fas as I can tell a standard ATX PSU won't physically fit the case.
719795-004_5.jpg

Seems to be manufactured by Delta and only outputs 12V and a 5V standby wire

The easiest way -for me- to find out what voltage each wire has when all of them are coloured black involves using a multimeter, the ground lead goes into any ground the PSU has and then all it takes is to touch every other wire on the connector and label it, that's it.

Here's the pinout for a Z420 PSU

3VSwk88.png

Pin 16 should be green PWROK rather than a PWM wire, pins 8 and 9 are not used.

You shouldn't do any modding if you've never opened a PSU before, soldering...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
This is a modular power supply? Can you post a link to an image of the side of the PSU where the cables come out?

In any case, this very proprietary stuff. Your only option, if replacing a cable even is an option, is likely to be whatever HP can provide.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
As fas as I can tell a standard ATX PSU won't physically fit the case.
719795-004_5.jpg

Seems to be manufactured by Delta and only outputs 12V and a 5V standby wire

The easiest way -for me- to find out what voltage each wire has when all of them are coloured black involves using a multimeter, the ground lead goes into any ground the PSU has and then all it takes is to touch every other wire on the connector and label it, that's it.

Here's the pinout for a Z420 PSU

3VSwk88.png

Pin 16 should be green PWROK rather than a PWM wire, pins 8 and 9 are not used.

You shouldn't do any modding if you've never opened a PSU before, soldering wires directly to the PCB is tedious and you have to do it carefully or you could short the board and burn some stuff inside

Solution