I Need Raid Help

Zachary Alvarado

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
I ordered an SSD and somehow recieved 2 of them so figured I could set them in RAID because why not. When I set them up on my onboard AMD RAID controller Windows won't recognize it. When I set RAID up in Windows my motherboard won't recognize it. I was wondering if I should purchase a dedicated RAID controller, buy an external RAID enclosure(and which data transfer interface), or if there is a solution to my problem.

Solution
You have to load the RAID driver for your board otherwise it wil not work. It will also not work if you already installed windows to the SSD and are trying to go RAID after the fact.

Now are you trying to do RAID 0 or RAID 1. If doing raid 0 then you better have a backup because RAID 0 has zero redundancy and any issue on 1 drive means all of your data is now useless.
Then that raises the point that RAID 1 is basically a pointless use of an SSD drive for your OS. RAID1 is not a backup solution, RAID1 is great for if a drive fails but absolutely useless as a backup solution because if the OS gets corrupted or infected or if files are lost then all you have is an exact duplicate of the same problem on the 2nd drive.
You have to load the RAID driver for your board otherwise it wil not work. It will also not work if you already installed windows to the SSD and are trying to go RAID after the fact.

Now are you trying to do RAID 0 or RAID 1. If doing raid 0 then you better have a backup because RAID 0 has zero redundancy and any issue on 1 drive means all of your data is now useless.
Then that raises the point that RAID 1 is basically a pointless use of an SSD drive for your OS. RAID1 is not a backup solution, RAID1 is great for if a drive fails but absolutely useless as a backup solution because if the OS gets corrupted or infected or if files are lost then all you have is an exact duplicate of the same problem on the 2nd drive.

Solution