I need serious help one of my gpus is doing nothing and throttling down while the other runs but still throttles down please h

agrecascinoq

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
I need serious help one of my gpus is doing nothing and throttling down while the other runs but still throttles
I have the lenovo y500 sli 12gb

Solution
SLI works like so. The first card splits the work in half, sending the other half off to the other gpu via the bridge or chipset, then once processed, the gpu sends it back across the bridge where the second card compiles it and sends it off to join the other data being processed by the cpu and other components. Because of that, the first GPU will always be hotter and be working harder with more memory used because it has to store the data the second card sends back.

agrecascinoq

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
r2zm.png
Ok heres a pic to explain

Don't...

Bump posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first

cklaubur

Distinguished
From the looks of things in the screenshot you posted, your video cards are not running in SLI mode. I'm not very familiar with nVidia's drivers, but is there an option to turn SLI on or off, and if so, what is it set to?

Casey

cklaubur

Distinguished
Also, MSI Kombustor does not appear to run in SLI or Crossfire mode. I just tried it on my desktop, and got the same results as your screenshot (one GPU fully loaded, the other idle). I do know that my Crossfire setup works. I'll keep looking into it, maybe there's some setting that isn't set correctly.

Casey

cklaubur

Distinguished
Ok, after doing some investigating, I found out that it is possible to run Kombustor in SLI/Crossfire mode. It just takes some trickery and has to be run in full-screen mode.

This page may help: http://www.geeks3d.com/20110310/tips-how-to-enable-sli-and-crossfire-support-for-msi-kombustor-2-0/

However, if SLI mode is not working in games, you would have a different problem.

Casey

Hello man

Honorable
SLI works like so. The first card splits the work in half, sending the other half off to the other gpu via the bridge or chipset, then once processed, the gpu sends it back across the bridge where the second card compiles it and sends it off to join the other data being processed by the cpu and other components. Because of that, the first GPU will always be hotter and be working harder with more memory used because it has to store the data the second card sends back.

Solution

Hello man

Honorable

What is your Nvidia control panel setting? Go to your control panel and make sure it is set on SLI. If it is, and you are still running hot on one card, your driver could be bad. You can try downloading a good program called GPU Z to see how much work each card is doing. If one is doing nothing even at idle, your drivers are almost certainly bad, or your other PCI express slot could have issues. My advice after doing all of these tests would be to use either Driver Sweeper or just do a complete un-install of your drivers, then download again in a different browser. Out of curiosity, what OS and motherboard are you using? That could help me trouble shoot.

P.S. Thanks for picking me as the solution. Its my first one!

TRENDING THREADS