I need serious help quickly

new build pc

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014
Hi guys, i need a new computer ASAP, im actually late on work and it's becomming a problem, tomorrow i want to buy a computer, i asked earlier on forums today for a computer which is work friendly and also gaming based, this is the best build i came to conclusion to for a budget of $1100.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($102.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($449.00 @ CPL Online)
Case: BitFenix Neos White/Purple ATX Mid Tower Case ($75.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1169.00

i just found a deal on ebay which contains an i7 cpu at $720 (it also contains similar specs such as 1TB storage, 8gn ram) but the problem is, its missing a video card, if i buy the same video card as the build above, it will be cheaper than the build above, what should i go with? the build above or this deal on ebay? thanks for your time

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290955817327?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

EDIT: is that i7 cpu processor better than the i5 cpu processor in that build which i mentioned above? sorry im new to these things :)

Solution

I've posted three different builds for you today. This one was my favourite:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($205.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($85.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB...
hi :)

the prebuilt pc has very good price. but there is some points :
- need to buy a very good psu for gpu
Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.00 @ CPL Online)

- its mobo is unkown, probably it is cheap because of using low end H81 which has only PCIe 2.0 (H97 use PCIe 3.0)

- the price doesnt include CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.00 @ Mwave Australia)

new build pc

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014

I agree, im in contact with the salesperson at the moment. with regards to the build i found on the forums, would it take a long time for someone to put it together for thr first time? im not concerned with ow long it takes, just curious

andrei65

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
The i7 solution isn't a great choice , the psu is complete shit on most pre-built pc's
The i7 is better than the i5 for sure , but not for gaming , do you really think you're gonna use hyper threading ?
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/k3mkWZ
The SSD isn't needed but if you need a super fast pc , you'll definetly need one
620w definetly isn't enough , a quality 750w is the minimum required for a 290 , and a 850w is even better
I couldn't find the white/purple neos though , but you can change that any time

new build pc

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014

thanks for the reply ! the salesperson jsut notified me that i need to upgrade my PSU ( additional $65) if i plan on using any high-end graphics card, i am also recommended to upgrade to a coolmaster case ( +$105 ) i knew there was a catch..it will bring the total to approx $1,300 , any suggestions now?

Enthusiast Builder

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

Yes, the i7s are better than the i5s - they have hyperthreading, so for certain software that is optimized to take advantage of multiple cores, the i7 will actually run them faster even at the same clockspeed. That said, most games and consumer grade non-game software (Office, Excel, etc) doesn't really make use of that ability - I think its only the workstation grade software that really benefits from hyperthreading. That may not always be the case though...more and more, software is being created which is optimized to take advantage of more cores...

Why do you need an aftermarket CPU cooler on a stock CPU? Most people who are paying the (small) cost difference for aftermarket cooling are doing it because they are going to overclock the CPU - but the CPU you selected can't be OC'd. You'd need to get a K version of the intel i5 (or i7) chips to do that. If you're cool with OCing, I think its well worth it, but make sure you know what you're doing because its NOT beneficial if you don't have enough cooling and your chip is always throttling, or if you run so much vcore through it you damage it.

For the amount of money you're spending on a new computer, I thnik you're silly not buying a SSD. A relatively small (120 to 250gig) SSD operating as a boot drive will make so much more of a difference in your daily use of the computer than spending an extra $100 bucks on a video card.

Just my two cents...

Enthusiast Builder

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Also, consider you're spending nearly 35% of your comp's budget on the graphics card. Now, if you're a serious gamer, its probably well worth it. I'm not, but I'm sure others here will tell you that card will run everything on "ultra" graphics and you'll love it if you're hardcore gaming. But if you're not...you could easily spend $200 less on a GPU, and still be able to rock dual monitors, 4k resolution, etc for normal operating.

Basically, just make sure you're not blowing a significant portion of your comp budget on hardware that actually doesn't make that much of a difference to you!

basic office pc case mostly doesnt support gaming GPU.
it doesnt have removable hdd cage thus long graphic card doesnt fit

if you really want i7, it will be better to use the original build and change the CPU. it will cost a bit mroe than AUD$1200 though

MightyBoyGaming

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
OK this may have been answered already but I'll keep it short and sweet:

Make your PSU at least 750W. I don't care what other people say, you will lose 10-20% of total wattage in the first year or two so you will need the extra power.

Change the graphics card for an Asus Geforce GTX 770 Direct CU II. It runs about 20% cooler and performs better than that card.

Change the cooler to a noctua NH-D14 since it will fit inside the bitfenix and is the king of cooling.

You have to remember that you are building in a smaller case that requires proper attention to airflow and cooling :)

Don't buy an i7 unless you really really REALLY need specific hyperthreading. Again you are building in a smaller box and the extra heat on the i7 just isn't worth it. If you really must have the i7 then go for it but it is, imho a waste of money for the time being. It's at the stage of new and shiny and sellable... and you never want to buy tech like that.

new build pc

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014

i dont need a cpu cooler if i dont wanna Oclock right? because i dont want OC

new build pc

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014

I wont be running an i7, i've realised its useless..im just going to go with that build i got from the forums, any suggest what cpu cooler i should use for the i5 since i wont be overclocking? and what case to buy? if that needs to be changed?

I've posted three different builds for you today. This one was my favourite:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($205.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($85.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($399.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.00 @ PLE Computers)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($99.00 @ PLE Computers)
Total: $1003.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I did say before, keep the stock cooler until (unless) you start having temperature issues. And the case is subjective, get one you like the look of mostly...

Solution

new build pc

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014

you also gave me the build which i posted here on this thread in my first post and look how many mistakes people pointed out, you told me to get a cpu aftermarket cooler when im not even overclocking :( i still appriate your help though

new build pc

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014

isnt that PSU too low?

MightyBoyGaming

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Well I just put together a gaming computer in a bitfenix and it worked a treat. I opted for a k processor and a z mobo fr overclocking but I'll only do that in a few years when the games become more demanding.

I can +1 for the geforce 770 but I would still opt for the asus direct cuII as 20% cooler just means quieter and better performing, defo worth the outlay.

In all seriousness though, the PSU is something cheap out on and you shouldn't do that. I went with the bitfenix 750W gold+ and it gives me everything I will ever need for the lifetime of the computer. ;)

new build pc

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014

dude your the only one who seems to know what theyre talking about, i just private messaged you can you please check it out.

I left the evo on when I amended someone else's build because you live in oz and it's bloody hot there in summer, and stated that when I posted the build. Everything else mentioned in this thread (SSD, GPU) is subjective.

No. Total wattage doesn't mean as much as 12v rail power. 45a on +12v will power that system. The XFX was not my first choice of PSU.

I love direct CU and use it myself, but it was considerably more expensive than the windforce when I looked on aussie partpicker.