Question I need sim LTE router

Makatas

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
Hello. Right now im in a place with very weak signal to celular tower, can you guys reccomend an lte router(with slot for sim card) with as strong as possible antenas to connect to the tower? In reasonable price range too lol. I tried looking myself, but i could not find any information on any routers for how strong antenas on them are(or is those antenes even for lte connection and not for wifi).

For example when visiting city my lte on the iphone has the speed of 130+ mbps, when at home speed is on iphone 3-8mbps. With a router im currently having speed is 10-13mbps(so router has little stronger antenas than iphone lol)

kanewolf

Titan
Hello. Right now im in a place with very weak signal to celular tower, can you guys reccomend an lte router(with slot for sim card) with as strong as possible antenas to connect to the tower? In reasonable price range too lol. I tried looking myself, but i could not find any information on any routers for how strong antenas on them are(or is those antenes even for lte connection and not for wifi).
Can you mount the router outside?

I think you have already discovered the large problem with LTE routers. Almost all the antenna connectors you see are for wifi.
Although I have seen some that have external LTE antenna connectors it is rare. Many times you will see people talking about taking the unit apart and connecting external antenna to the internal antenna connections on the router motherboard.

The reason for this is very technically it is illegal modify antenna on cellular equipment. So some vendor make it hard to do.

In most cases the best you are going to do is place the router in a window on the side of the house closest to the cell tower.

If you do find a router with antenna connectors what you to connect to them are called log-periodic. These cover a wide range of cell frequencies. You can get yaggi tuned to the exact frequencies but you have to actually know what your ISP is using.
You also need to have 2 of them and mount them 90 degrees off each other. This is so you get the benefits of mimo.
You also need quality microwave rated coax to connect to the antenna because the should be mounted outside with direct line of sight to the tower

You could weatherproof the router and try having it outside the window. I was doing that at a place where I was using the neighbors wifi. Might be worth a try, especially if you're not at the place permanently. If it doesn't improve things enough, then you could spend money. After all, why buy a new router if you won't be using it in the long run.

Makatas

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
You could weatherproof the router and try having it outside the window. I was doing that at a place where I was using the neighbors wifi. Might be worth a try, especially if you're not at the place permanently. If it doesn't improve things enough, then you could spend money. After all, why buy a new router if you won't be using it in the long run.
Because ~10mbps is barelly usable for me, especially when previously i lived also in rural area just 2km away from the current place and i was getting 50mbps there.

TRENDING THREADS