[SOLVED] I need software to notify me of mains power failure.

alan_surry

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
I have a laptop which runs a program called TEMPer. This monitors the temperature in a heated enclosure for a large tortoise and sends me an email alert if the temperature drops below a certain figure. What I'm trying to find is (Preferably open source) some form of power monitoring software that will notify me that the mains supply to the laptop has failed. In a nutshell I need to rig up an alarm that functions the same way as a power alarm in a UPS system does.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

alan_surry

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
The laptop also runs a couple of webcams as well as two temperature sensors so I can check that all is OK when I'm away. We lost one tortoise a few years back when a relative who was "looking after" them left the door unlocked and he got out and froze to death.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a laptop which runs a program called TEMPer. This monitors the temperature in a heated enclosure for a large tortoise and sends me an email alert if the temperature drops below a certain figure. What I'm trying to find is (Preferably open source) some form of power monitoring software that will notify me that the mains supply to the laptop has failed. In a nutshell I need to rig up an alarm that functions the same way as a power alarm in a UPS system does.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA
A UPS with USB connectivity to the laptop will tell you when the mains POWER goes out. Software like APC powerchute can e-mail or text.

USAFRet

Titan
The laptop also runs a couple of webcams as well as two temperature sensors so I can check that all is OK when I'm away. We lost one tortoise a few years back when a relative who was "looking after" them left the door unlocked and he got out and froze to death.
You actually need a notification for when the laptop switches from wall power to battery power.

Just knowing if the wall power goes out...the laptop is still running. But the temperature is going down.

alan_surry

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
That's pretty much what I need. Notification that power is down and the laptop is running on battery. I could do without buying a UPS just for this, hence the question about finding UPS style software. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan
Solution