I need some advice on what would be best for me

darklink911

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
I am a High School Student who also happens to travel around alot and I am a very heavy gamer. I would be heavier If I had ever owned a computer in my life. well, ill get to the point. I have saved up quite a fair amount of dosh (about 2.3k) and I had been looking at getting parts and throwing a computer together
i7 4770k
gtx 780ti
Fatal1ty professional
16 gb ram
corsair h100i
500 watt psu
750 gb hdd 7200rpm + 265gb ssd
whatever case I wanted to throw on there
blu-ray burner
possibly a fan controller

but then I got to thinking.. maybe a laptop would be a better choice for me.. because I am rarely at home. if I am it's never for longer than an hour, so I started looking at laptops, but you just can't get anywhere near as good as the desktop I had lined up... the closest I found was an alienware 18 but I was not willing to dish out quite that much for something that will be outdated in about 3 years... but I still require the mobility. I seem To be in a catch 22 and if someone could help me out, I would be VERY greatful. I would also like to mention I do make amv's and I am going to be a programmer, so I need something that can take the video editing and the programming as well as the heavy gaming. Right now I am leaning VERY heavily towards the ASUS ROG g750jx as it's my best alternative. also, one important fact: I have no credit card or paypal account. I would have to rely on my friend to help me out and trust him not to take my 2.3k and run (which is kinda hard for me to do, for some strange reason). I can just go out and buy any old laptop. so if someone could give me some advice or set me in the right direction... I would be your best friend 5eva

jrlawson

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
My advice to you is to buy parts to make a $1000-$1200 gaming desktop for use at home and then buy a laptop that is capable of playing some games such as the Lenovo ideapad y510p. It will give you the best of both worlds. Have a nice powerful desktop to use when you are home, and a laptop to use when you are away. This may be your best bet as far as your situation.

darklink911

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

I would do that, except for the fact that that method splits my money. I am trying to basically get the computer out of my way so that i will be able to buy a car and be able to pay for my own insurance because i have to cover myself with a minimum wage paying job. as well as pay my phone and cable bill.

jrlawson

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
Well you will still end up spending the same amount of money on a pc regardless if you buy on , or two. You will not be spending extra by buying two different ones, so though you will be splitting your money between two computers, it will be the same amount as you listed for purchasing just one.

darklink911

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
I'mm kinda looking for intense graphics... and i can't do that with 1200 per computer.
sorry i really don't mean to be pushy and shut everything down.. I just really want one machine that i will be able to use practically and be able to brag about... If that makes any sense..
by the way, your username doesn't lie. you ARE a speed demon

jrlawson

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
If you want bragging rights then your best bet is to get a desktop. The hardware is more well known around the internet and people will have more respect for you in general if you play on a desktop.