[SOLVED] I need some advice please on switching cases

Sep 14, 2020
So, I bought a 2nd hand gaming PC, and the case looks awful I mean like it's not what i like. So I was planning to get a new case for it. But I want to do it myself, I just want to know that, is it hard? to take all the parts off from the case and put it back in again into a new case (I'm a beginner btw)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Can you turn a screwdriver?
if you said yes, you have the skills to change a case.
However, some pre-built systems will have issues that will need creative engineering to succeed.

if you could post either the make and model of the current case or PC model or post a pic of the inside of your machine for verification of any issues. (standards adherence)

look to youtube for a few videos on PC assembly, watch a few make sure you have an idea what is involved, what goes where etc. and the forums are here is you have questions.

A word on grounding
Assembly grounding:
plug in the power supply to the wall. you can touch an unpainted part of the PSU (insert an unpainted unfinished screw into the PSU mounting holes and touch the screw as a...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
However, some pre-built systems will have issues that will need creative engineering to succeed.

if you could post either the make and model of the current case or PC model or post a pic of the inside of your machine for verification of any issues. (standards adherence)

look to youtube for a few videos on PC assembly, watch a few make sure you have an idea what is involved, what goes where etc. and the forums are here is you have questions.

A word on grounding
Assembly grounding:
plug in the power supply to the wall. you can touch an unpainted part of the PSU (insert an unpainted unfinished screw into the PSU mounting holes and touch the screw as a grounding point) once you have grounded yourself you can now touch and assemble the parts of the PC.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, reground yourself again.
install the CPU into the motherboard and the RAM into the slots.
install the cooler to the CPU. install the motherboard into the case.
secure the motherboard down with the screws, make sure you remove any unwanted/needed mounts before securing the motherboard.
unplug the PSU and ground yourself again. install the PSU into the case and secure with the 4 mounting screws.
plug in the power cord and ground yourself again from now on after grounding, unplug the power supply cord from the wall.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
connect the power supply to the motherboard by the 24 pin and the AUX CPU power connector, install the GPU if one is selected, and install the drives with the supplied mounts in the case. connect the front panel connections to the case according to the manuals.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
if there are any other peripherals, like wifi cards or sound card install and secure now. verify all power cables are connected to the motherboard and the GPU if needed.
the system can now be booted and the BIOS adjusted if needed (refer to motherboard manual) then an OS installed. when you are sure the system will need no more working/tinkering you can install the side panel and close the case. you have now assembled a PC.
end canned rant

Solution
Sep 14, 2020

A word on grounding
Assembly grounding:
plug in the power supply to the wall. you can touch an unpainted part of the PSU (insert an unpainted unfinished screw into the PSU mounting holes and touch the screw as a grounding point) once you have grounded yourself you can now touch and assemble the parts of the PC.
install the CPU into the motherboard and the RAM into the slots.
install the cooler to the CPU. install the motherboard into the case.
secure the motherboard down with the screws, make sure you remove any unwanted/needed mounts before securing the motherboard.
unplug the PSU and ground yourself again. install the PSU into the case and secure with the 4 mounting screws.
plug in the power cord and ground yourself again from now on after grounding, unplug the power supply cord from the wall.
connect the power supply to the motherboard by the 24 pin and the AUX CPU power connector, install the GPU if one is selected, and install the drives with the supplied mounts in the case. connect the front panel connections to the case according to the manuals.
if there are any other peripherals, like wifi cards or sound card install and secure now. verify all power cables are connected to the motherboard and the GPU if needed.
the system can now be booted and the BIOS adjusted if needed (refer to motherboard manual) then an OS installed. when you are sure the system will need no more working/tinkering you can install the side panel and close the case. you have now assembled a PC.
end canned rant
Thank you very much

What is the make/model of the old pc, and what is the make/model of the prospective new case?

First, verify that your parts will fit.
For starters, count the expansion slots on the old case and the new.
You can put a 4 slot motherboard in a 7 slot case, but not vice versa.

Since you have not done this before, I suggest you first take photos of all of the connections in the original pc.

Buy a #2 magnetic head philips screwdriver.
It can hold screws when you remove them and reinsert them.
Put removed screws separately, and label where they came from.

Parts and connectors are keyed. Do not force anything.

You probably do not need to remove the cpu, cooler, or ram from the motherboard to make the move.