I need some clarification:

abbazamma

Jan 13, 2013
Recently, I had a computer running:

-AMD FX 9590 8-Core Processor @ 5.6GHz (liquid cooled)
-Coolmax 1600 Watt Modular Power Supply
-Corsair 32GB 1866MHz DDR3 Vengeance Pro Memory (liquid cooled)
-Gigabyte AM3 990FX UD7 Motherboard
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 Graphics Cards (Quad SLI)

And I had so many issues with the setup. My games were getting less FPS on four GTX Titan X's than my friend was getting on a single R9 390- all on 1080p. Why? Bottlenecking is my thought, although I never reached nearly 100% CPU or GPU usage. That's not my question, I am just stating that's the reason for my upgrade.

My new upgrade:

-Intel Core i7 5960X Processor (liquid cooled)
-Coolmax 1600 Watt Modular Power Supply
-NO MEMORY!!!
-ASUS X99-E Motherboard (featuring 4x x16 PCI-E lanes)
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 Graphics Cards (Quad SLI)

So, as you can see- there's no memory. That's where I need help. I'm currently debating on buying Corsair Dominator (4x4GB) 3300MHz DDR4 memory for $480 or buying Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) 3300MHz DDR4 memory for $308. I'm not so concerned about price-performance- I want the best of the best. Obviously 16GB is nothing, but the best frequency (3300MHz) can only be purchased on 4GB modules of memory and I'd rather have that then 128GB of memory just to say I have it.

The problem is, I'm going to end up watercooling the memory- so isn't the extra money for the Corsair Dominator just cosmetic and because of features the heatsink has? I'd have to take the heatsink off for watercooling either way, so is it pointless to buy that one over the Corsair Vengeance? Or is there actually a performance difference between the Corsair Dominator and the Corsair Vengeance?

So here's the point. I'm going to be watercooling the memory and removing the stock heatsinks from the modules. Which one should I buy?

Solution
Your AMD rig was underpowered with the load you had on it, surprised the PSU didn't pop, and think lag would be expected ;) You can go with either set of DRAM, better timings would be better performance, though watercooling is a waste on DRAM

Adroid

Distinguished
Watercooling is pointless for RAM, period. It you want to piss the money away, go for it!! I really don't think it matters but if you need the "best", the ones with the tighter (lower) timings should be in theory faster.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Your AMD rig was underpowered with the load you had on it, surprised the PSU didn't pop, and think lag would be expected ;) You can go with either set of DRAM, better timings would be better performance, though watercooling is a waste on DRAM

Solution