[SOLVED] I need some guidance in picking right parts for my PC

Apr 27, 2020
Hello guys,

I'm going to buy soon PC and I have invested some time in research to collect the right parts, but now I need someone who could tell me is my choice good, is better choice for any of the parts and so on. My main priority is development (I always have few virtual desktops and for each of them I have oppened many tabs in chrome, few instances of programs like VS, VS Code, etc.) Secondly I want just to play games, I'm not hard core gamer, I don't care if the game will be at medium/high/ultra settings (of course the highter is better, but it's not mandatory for me), the resolution is maximum 1920x1080 because thats monitor i'm planning to buy with 144Hz which mean 144 fps will be highest target for the games. And lastly which even weaker PCs could handle is watching movies, videos on youtube, browsing and you know, everydays stuff.

My choices:

MotherboardChipset should be definitely Z490 because of the CPU, but which one exactly will suit best?
CPU10600K or KF?
RAM1st choice: G.Skill RipJaws V Red DIMM Kit 16GB F4-3600C17D-16GVK
2nd choice: G.Skill RipJaws V Red DIMM Kit 16GB F4-3000C14D-16GVR
both are with B-Die chip and are chipset i have found, that's why i have picked em.
CoolingArctic Liquid Freezer II 240
Power Suply1st choice: Seasonic Focus GX 550W or 650W?
2nd choice: Corsair RM550X or RM650X?
CaseBe Quite! Pure Base 500
SSDSamsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
GraphicStill not decided, since I'm going to buy it last but some of the choices are RTX 2060 or GTX 1660 Ti. Is it worth more money for RTX 2060 (causal gaming?)

Last edited:
Solution
8700k shouldn't be cheaper. i7 prices stay pretty flat. Same with i5 prices. Now it might go up since they have been scaling cost with chip size of late, depends on what they plan on charging for the 10 and 8 core CPUs. If the new i9 is $500, then you might see i7 like prices on the i5.

Very likely the last consumer DDR4 chipset from Intel, unless they decide to do a hybrid next generation. That tends to happen for laptop/consumer chips. I would guess a new chipset for next generation, possibly even a new socket. Depends on how they feel about it. Basic Intel rule of thumb though, expect to buy a new motherboard with your next CPU upgrade.

Arguably they didn't need to bother with a new socket, but they did. But you could have said the...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
These products aren't officially out, so hard to say what is best. Would be predictive based on past experience mostly. Not too hard to predict Intel CPU performance since this is basically the same stuff they've had for four generations. 6c/12t is decent, for the money you could get more from AMD.

Your major brands MSI, ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte will all have their offerings for motherboards. You get the features you want to pay for. If you aren't overclocking the CPU, then most boards should work fine. With a K processor I see no reason not to get 3600Mhz memory. Kind of the defacto standard for high end machines, suitable for AMD and Intel.

Generally I stay away from the bottom tier boards, try to find one with better audio. ALC1220 at least, but there are plenty of premium offerings.

Cases are subjective. Not the most airflow friendly case, but with a water cooler front mounted should work okay. GPU temperatures might be a little higher than normal, but if you aren't planning on pushing it, should be fine CPU cooler is fine I suppose, pretty interchangeable until you start looking at all copper and expandable models.

As for an RTX card, can't say there are too many titles or applications that make it super worthwhile just now. Though that will change over time. I would say worth it just for the tensor and RT cores. They don't have to be used for games.

Minecraft RTX is out.
RTX Voice (Which appears to work amazingly well to clean up voice chat background noise)
And there is always deep learning and AI to mess with.

I've always found the RM650X a nice middle ground PSU, run an RM850X myself.

Reactions: No Pain No Gain
Apr 27, 2020
Thanks for the reply bro, you helped me a lot with your post. :) Maybe I have just one more question. Which do you think could be better, now buying Z370 + 8700K or waiting for Z490 + 10600K. I'm pretty sure they will have almost same perfomance, same cores/threads, but the first one should be chepear. However I don't know if Z490 will have a futhure, I men if the next gen will be compatible with that chipset or you will need to buy a new motherboard as last few generation.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
8700k shouldn't be cheaper. i7 prices stay pretty flat. Same with i5 prices. Now it might go up since they have been scaling cost with chip size of late, depends on what they plan on charging for the 10 and 8 core CPUs. If the new i9 is $500, then you might see i7 like prices on the i5.

Very likely the last consumer DDR4 chipset from Intel, unless they decide to do a hybrid next generation. That tends to happen for laptop/consumer chips. I would guess a new chipset for next generation, possibly even a new socket. Depends on how they feel about it. Basic Intel rule of thumb though, expect to buy a new motherboard with your next CPU upgrade.

Arguably they didn't need to bother with a new socket, but they did. But you could have said the same thing about kaby -> coffeelake. People did hack the new CPUs into the old socket. But

Solution
Apr 27, 2020
And let's say the total cost of oldest Z370 + 8700K is same or even cheaper than Z490 + 10600K, which do you think is better option? And yeah it's seems to tend that you need to upgrade every time the motherboard with CPU which make no sens to plan futhure upgrades from newer generation except you buy both the newer MB and CPU.

About the case, you said 'Not the most airflow friendly case', so what do you think abour his brother 500DX or FD Meshify C with the Glass Panel.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Latest I saw today is that there may potentially be one more LGA1200 chip generation which will offer PCIe Gen 4.0 through the CPU lanes. Only educated guesses from experts with disclosable inside information though. So one more DDR4 chip coming from Intel, but it would be minor gains unless you have a really heavy storage or AMD/Nvidia release GPUs that actually need that much bandwidth.

Given tray price of $237 for the i5, likely land in that $250-260 range at launch. Early Z490 boards probably cost over $200. That alone is the price of a new i7-8700k at $380. I can't see the older i7 being a good option at this point, even though they are roughly the same architecture, there have still been gains and innovation.

I also saw the DX for the first time today, I'm always in favor of mesh front cases. Easy to clean. Though silent cases are nice if this is going to be used primarily for work and you want it to be quiet rather than achieve maximum performance.

just curious:
Why not go for the 8-core, 16 thread AMD r7-3700X instead of the 10600K?
similar, slightly higher pricing on the CPU (about $290), but much less for a decent X570 mobo $160-180), go with the 3600 RAM (or Patriot Viper 3733 CAS 17, at $90 for 16 GB)

25% more threads has to be better for multiple virtual machines

Apr 27, 2020
Latest I saw today is that there may potentially be one more LGA1200 chip generation which will offer PCIe Gen 4.0 through the CPU lanes. Only educated guesses from experts with disclosable inside information though. So one more DDR4 chip coming from Intel, but it would be minor gains unless you have a really heavy storage or AMD/Nvidia release GPUs that actually need that much bandwidth.

Given tray price of $237 for the i5, likely land in that $250-260 range at launch. Early Z490 boards probably cost over $200. That alone is the price of a new i7-8700k at $380. I can't see the older i7 being a good option at this point, even though they are roughly the same architecture, there have still been gains and innovation.

I also saw the DX for the first time today, I'm always in favor of mesh front cases. Easy to clean. Though silent cases are nice if this is going to be used primarily for work and you want it to be quiet rather than achieve maximum performance.
So we can sey 10600K vs 8700K is probably same perfomance for less money. And probably that's was i'm going for to buy.

Apr 27, 2020
Hello again guys, I have ended up with a new idea. Since there are a lot of speculation on internet that Rocket Lake will not get a new chipset, what do you think if I buy Z490 and most cheapest i3 processor from Comet Lake and when Rocket Lake arrives to swtich with 11600K and sell the old i3. I guess those i3 will be enough at first time and will be a lot faster than my current laptop cpu from 4th gen. :D
Of course this is only speculation and it's not officaliy said by intel that Rocket lake will keep the same chipset, but seems pretty obvious since the release date between those two generation wil be too small and it make no sens to release again new chipset.

Apr 27, 2020
I'd go with amd
Yeah, but could you tell me 3 reason why to buy AMD and not Intel?
And I know exactly what should be the first reason. Extra cores which lead to better multi-core perfomance for less money (but not that muss less). Definitely this is a would be enough reason for someone who wants to buy best hardware for the least amount of money. But what are the other 2 reasons?

Also I'm not blind, I also don't like what Intel do last 2-3 years with their proccesors, but they are still good, you can't say the opposite.

So please if someone could answer me at my last question.
Also I don't exlude of course AMD alternative, so you could give your suggestion also, processor plus motherboard of course.

Yeah, but could you tell me 3 reason why to buy AMD and not Intel?
And I know exactly what should be the first reason. Extra cores which lead to better multi-core perfomance for less money (but not that muss less). Definitely this is a would be enough reason for someone who wants to buy best hardware for the least amount of money. But what are the other 2 reasons?

Also I'm not blind, I also don't like what Intel do last 2-3 years with their proccesors, but they are still good, you can't say the opposite.

So please if someone could answer me at my last question.
Also I don't exlude of course AMD alternative, so you could give your suggestion also, processor plus motherboard of course.

1 is what you say; more cores/threads for less money
2 AMD shreds Intel at multi-threaded apps in the same price point. And usually beats the more expensive Intel Cpu with the same core counts
3 AMD equals or beats Intel in single core operations now

The only thing intel wins now is a very top end cpu and gpu getting a few tens of fps in games at low resolutions (who uses a $500 Cpu and a $1200 gpu to play at 1080p?)

in everything else AMD blows intel out of the water.

Apr 27, 2020
1 is what you say; more cores/threads for less money
2 AMD shreds Intel at multi-threaded apps in the same price point. And usually beats the more expensive Intel Cpu with the same core counts
3 AMD equals or beats Intel in single core operations now

The only thing intel wins now is a very top end cpu and gpu getting a few tens of fps in games at low resolutions (who uses a $500 Cpu and a $1200 gpu to play at 1080p?)

in everything else AMD blows intel out of the water.
They beat in multi-core benchmarsk because of more cores/threads, but if we compare 1v1, 2v2, 4v4 core tests, intel 9th gen beat them with little, but still beat them and now 10th will actually beat them more. Now days AMD still can't beat them at single core, but in futhure they will maybe, depending on what Intel will show up, because I truly belive they will surprise us with Alder Lake. In gaming Intel are still the king. For me only more cores/threads for less money is the biggest plus for AMD compared to current generation, but with Comet Lake, they will have almost same price per core/thread.