Question I need some help man, brand newly built pc randomly shut down :(

Mar 1, 2021
Hello Tom's Hardware guys, I signed up here in the hopes someone could help me with a problem so I can start using my computer again.

I am a novice pc builder and I just built my own micro atx build with the following specs:

MSI Ryzen B450M MORTAR MAX AM4 mATX Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit

Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD

Fractal Design Define Mini C Tempered Glass

AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 Processor

CORSAIR - TX550M Semi-Modular ATX PSU - 550 W

RX 570 GPU (bought used)

Problem:

The computer has been running perfectly fine for 2 days, I stress tested the GPU and was fine, I played some games they were all good, temperatures all seemed fine, the whole setup was working so well and I was quite proud.

Tonight I was playing Total War Warhammer 2 and the sequence of events was as follows:

My screen suddenly turned off
A second later my tower turned off

I now can't turn the PC back on, the GPU light is still on when the PSU is on but the mobo light is not on. There is also a sound that happens when I try to turn the PSU on, see this in the video.

Here is a video showing what is happening.

Mar 1, 2021
Try to start your pc barebone. Only cpu and one ram module. Remove gpu and unplug storages and roms. And reset bios

Ok so I removed the USED gpu I bought (which by all accounts was working perfectly up to this point), removed my PCIE wifi adapter, and removed Sata cables for my SSD.

And now the system is turning on as normal, fans are all turning on and lights are all on.

What does this mean?

Mar 1, 2021
Ok I will try one at a time, it is a brand new PSU and good quality one (CORSAIR - TX550M Semi-Modular ATX PSU - 550 W). Should I plug my GPU in first and see if it's working?

Mar 1, 2021
So a recap:

After doing a bare bones start (unplugged GPU, PCIE wifi, and SSD) as kindly suggested by @Jacozeelie , the good thing is that everything turned on after that.

Now I went to plug my GPU back in, and the problem comes back again and nothing turns on. Does this simply mean the GPU is defective? It is so weird because everything worked for 2 days, I was playing games with this GPU no problem, now this.

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
I bought a 1tb hdd awhile back. It worked for a month and died for no apperant reason and i couldnt return it because i lost the invoice. Sometimes it happens

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 1, 2021
I switched to a different GPU and now the system works fine, so it seems this used GPU is a piece of crap. IS there any way of fixing it? Or just hope this guy refunds me.

Mar 1, 2021
I bought a 1tb hdd awhile back. It worked for a month and died for no apperant reason and i couldnt return it because i lost the invoice. Sometimes <Mod Edit> happens

Is this common? I played several games on this video card for two days and now it just completely doesn't work and stops my PC from turning on. I find this really bizarre with no warning or anything, I just know that even if I get a refund for this GPU I now have to re enter the GPU rat race of hell which is going on right now. So disappointing.

There are no visible signs of damage on the GPU, my eye is very untrained but it looks fine.

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Try to get a refund. It is not common for hardware to just fail for no reason but it happens more offen than you think. Every day is a gamble. I had a agp graphics card, radeon 9550 i think, that when you put it in a mobo and switch it on, it fries the mobo. No reason. No marks or damage on the gpu, just a plain mobo killer.

Mar 1, 2021
Try to get a refund. It is not common for hardware to just fail for no reason but it happens more offen than you think. Every day is a gamble. I had a agp graphics card, radeon 9550 i think, that when you put it in a mobo and switch it on, it fries the mobo. No reason. No marks or damage on the gpu, just a plain mobo killer.

All I can say is thank god all the other components didn't get damaged, when I used my brothers GPU Windows booted fine, no motherboard frying haha