I need some help on upgrading my friend's pc

Lex-Corp

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Hi there,

I need some help on upgrading my friend's pc he doesn't have so much of money to spend but what can he upgrade to play the new games which are out now in 2017 his pc components are as follows:

intel core i3 2100
msi h61m-p32/w8
4gb ram 1333mhz (2 X 2gb)
sapphire radeon r7 260X 2gb
550w cooler master thunder
case atx dell a normal case
500gb hard drive
samsung dvd writer

I just need help on what he should upgrade to play the games on the 720p monitor at very high the resolution of his monitor is (1280X720p) I hope you all can help me in this thanks in advance :)

For 720p his rig is not bad at all.

I would get a GTX 1050 or 1050ti and that sould see some noticable game play improvement.
You can also check into finding a used i5 2xxx or 3xxx (you may need to upgrade bios to use 3xxx serries CPUs)

The PSU is not that good. For a 1050ti that does not require a 6pin power conenctor it is adaqueate but anthing more and I would advise replacing.
While the PSU should have the connector it is just not good quality and i would not trust it last being put under a heavy gaming load (nor trust it to not fry your parts when it dies).

Lex-Corp

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017

Hi there,
I agree what you say but I thought the cooler master 550W thunder is a really good psu for gaming but since you said he has to change psu hmm I also agree but I don't think he will be happy on changing the psu because he had bought just few months back that's why any other options thanks in advance :)

4gb is not enough today.
Assuming the os is 64 bit capable, replace the ram with at least a 2 x 4gb kit.

I3-2100 is a surprisingly good gamer.
GTX1050ti would be a nice jump in graphics capability.

Coolermaster quality is iffy, but if it is not stressed, you should be ok for even a GTX1060.

Lex-Corp

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017

Hi there,
about his OS he his using windows 8.1 pro and you are saying if he put's the game on ultra or something his psu will fry is it so if so tell me what he could upgrade in this position I told him to upgrade to i5 2nd gen but he wants to play it in his i3 2100 he wants to show what games he can play in very high or even ultra I hope you all will give me the best solution thanks in advance :)

Unforutnalty no, the Thunder serries is not that great of quality.

After looking at the specific model the Thunder does at least have protections to hopefully prevent it from frying other parts in your computer.
The friend shoudl be ok using it until it dies, but it wil get worn out.

Lex-Corp

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Hi there,
ok I will see what will be his reply but what can he upgrade does he have to upgrade everything if so tell me what are the components thanks in advance :) what do you think of FSP hexa plus 550W