I need some help setting up a triple monitor setup for Nvidia surround

beekermartin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
I have decided to try a triple monitor setup for gaming. I settled on the Dell U2414H monitor. I only have one so far but I will be adding two more shortly. I currently have one GTX 780 but I will be adding a second one for SLI. The more research I do on how to set this up the more confused I am getting. I have a few questions so I will number them to keep it simple.

1. From what I've read using the display port 1.2 on the U2414H and daisy chaining them together will work for extending the desktop but not for surround gaming. Is that correct?

2. If daisy chaining won't work for surround gaming then what is the best way to connect all three monitors? I assume this would work: 1. display port 2. HDMI 3. DVI to HDMI adapter since the U2414H only has display port and HDMI.

3. Next option is 1. display port - top card, 2. HDMI - top card, 3 display port or HDMI - lower card.

Basically is it ok to connect the monitors to both cards or do they all need to be connected to the same card for surround gaming and SLI to work? I know extended desktop will work connecting to both cards but I don't know if SLI and surround gaming will allow that.

beekermartin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
I found this thread: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround#3

I know it applies to a 680 but I assume the same applies to the 780???

If that is the case it is more confusing than I thought but that thread explains it clearly enough. It looks like option 5 is the best option for me since it won't require any adapters and my monitors only have display port and HDMI. Basically connect two monitors to the top card using display port and HDMI. Then connect the third monitor to the second card using display port or HDMI.

beekermartin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
I answered my final question as well. I connected my existing HP ZR2440W using the display port output of the U2414H which was connected to the video card via a mini display port cable. I then turned on the display port 1.2 setting in the menu of the U2414H. I could then extend the desktop using the windows resolution menu. That worked great showing that daisy chaining works. Then I turned on surround in the Nvidia settings and that is when the problems started. Needless to say daisy chaining and Nvidia surround does not work. I connected both monitors to the video card directly and Nvidia surround worked perfectly.

beekermartin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
I am going to dig up this thread in case someone can answer this question. In theory should display port and HDMI outputs look identical assuming all settings are the same in windows and the monitors are calibrated equally?

I am going to be running two 780s in SLI. I ended up getting 3 x U2415 monitors. They only have HDMI and Display Port. So I will have two of them connected using display port and one using HDMI. If everything is equal should they look the same? I assume the answer is yes since they are both digital connections. The 780s only have one display port and HDMI output. So I figured I would connect two of the monitors, one to each card with display port, and the third monitor to HDMI on the first card. That is what Nvidia says to do for Surround to work. My concern is mixing display port and HDMI outputs. Since I am only running 1920x1200 I know they both can handle it but I am concerned about the actual results being equal if everything else is equal.

swiftor

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Display-port 1.2 daisy chaining definitely does work with surround. Not even on the 1000 series.
3x U241Hs worked fine in eyefinity with my AMD GPU put no dice with surround on this 1080ti.

What did you end up doing, beekermartin?

beekermartin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008

I ended up connecting each monitor to the video cards directly. Two in the top card and one in the lower card since I am now running 980ti's in SLI.

TRENDING THREADS