[SOLVED] I need some help with a 8 pin to PSU cable

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
Hello! So I just bought a new graphics card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Z7DXHP5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - It needs 2x 8 pin cables (I already have 1x 8 pin in my existing graphics card). I have a thermaltake toughpower grand series RGB 650 Watt PSU. I have misplaced the additional cables that came with it. I'm not totally sure what cables to search for for this. Also, there are some extra cables coming out of the power supply that have a few additional "4 pins" that are already connected to the power supply. Could I just get a cable that connects to the "4 pin" then goes to the new 8 pin on my new graphics card? Or do they both (8-pins) need to be on separate cables going directly to the PSU? I ask because it will be really hard to get a new cable directly into the PSU, it's really packed in there in my computer case.

This is my first time doing this so also, should I use that DDU (i think its called that) graphics card driver uninstaller or the AMD uninstaller they recommend in guides?

Thanks!

Solution
The psu pins are irrelevant. They could be 4pin or 12pin, doesn't matter, they are just a modular connection. What's important is the pcie pin count.

IF you have a TT ARESGAME modular psu, they will work. IF you have a TT SmartPower psu, they will Not work. It's not always due to the pins at psu being different, but a different layout. :::: that's the 8pin modular side. On some psus, the top might be ground and bottom hot, or top might be hot and bottom ground or first 3 are hot and last 5 ground etc. It changes per psu make and model.

The ARESGAME/ToughPower psu happens to use the exact same layout as some newer Corsair units, so the cables are compatible, but that doesn't mean ALL TT makes/models are compatible. Even if the modular...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Contact TT or CableMod, they'll have pcie cable/cables that fit for your psu.

No, you cannot adapter the 4pins and no, you cannot use a single 8pin pcie split into 2x 8pin

Use DDU through safe mode. Drivers cannot be deleted while 'in use', so you need safe mode because that does not load the graphics drivers at boot and enables them to be removed. When you install the new drivers, it'll be a clean install, not a hodge-podge fix that can cause complications and/or conflicts.

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
Contact TT or CableMod, they'll have pcie cable/cables that fit for your psu.

No, you cannot adapter the 4pins and no, you cannot use a single 8pin pcie split into 2x 8pin

Use DDU through safe mode. Drivers cannot be deleted while 'in use', so you need safe mode because that does not load the graphics drivers at boot and enables them to be removed. When you install the new drivers, it'll be a clean install, not a hodge-podge fix that can cause complications and/or conflicts.

Ok so I need a cable that goes from the new GPU straight to my PSU? I cant even really see what open spots I have on the PSU. Am I looking for 8 pin to 8 pin? Are you sure newegg or amazon won't have this cable?

EDIT: I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Ther...fix=8+pin+thermaltake+,electronics,235&sr=1-4

and this: https://www.amazon.com/Certusfun-Co...fix=8+pin+thermaltake+,electronics,235&sr=1-3

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The psu pins are irrelevant. They could be 4pin or 12pin, doesn't matter, they are just a modular connection. What's important is the pcie pin count.

IF you have a TT ARESGAME modular psu, they will work. IF you have a TT SmartPower psu, they will Not work. It's not always due to the pins at psu being different, but a different layout. :::: that's the 8pin modular side. On some psus, the top might be ground and bottom hot, or top might be hot and bottom ground or first 3 are hot and last 5 ground etc. It changes per psu make and model.

The ARESGAME/ToughPower psu happens to use the exact same layout as some newer Corsair units, so the cables are compatible, but that doesn't mean ALL TT makes/models are compatible. Even if the modular connection works, it's the pin layout that determines what pins at the pcie end get power and what get ground. The very last thing you want is to get the pin voltages wrong and put 12v into the gpu ground. Makes for a smoking gpu.

You'd need to scroll All the way down and look at the compatibility listing to see if your exact psu is on the list. If it's not, or questionable, then consider it non-compatible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Solution

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016

The ARESGAME/ToughPower psu happens to use the exact same layout as some newer Corsair units, so the cables are compatible, but that doesn't mean ALL TT makes/models are compatible. Even if the modular connection works, it's the pin layout that determines what pins at the pcie end get power and what get ground. The very last thing you want is to get the pin voltages wrong and put 12v into the gpu ground. Makes for a smoking gpu.

You'd need to scroll All the way down and look at the compatibility listing to see if your exact psu is on the list. If it's not, or questionable, then consider it non-compatible.

Ok. Thanks so much for the help. I actually managed to find the PCI-E cable that came with the TT PSU! :)

TRENDING THREADS