I need some help with a Windows 8 clean install

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Okay, so just a few days ago, I got a new laptop and it came pre-installed with Windows 8. I bought an mSATA ssd to go along with it and now I'm trying to do a clean install of windows 8, so that it boots from the SSD.

1. My main issue is: I don't know how to get an ISO of a clean Windows 8 installation from Microsoft without paying for it (I have the product keys).

2. If I get my hands on an ISO, could I simply boot my computer (through BIOS) from my USB and use the ISO to do a clean install of Windows 8?

3. When would I need to install the SSD, and how would I set up windows to boot from it?

I know that's a lot to answer, so if anyone can help me with even just a bit of it, it would be greatly appreciated.

If you need any extra info, just ask. As of right now, I have no concern for any files on the PC. It's a Lenovo u410 if that means anything and it has no Optical Drive.

Thanks,
DonQuixoteMC

Solution

Should be able to boot from the USB external drive with the SSD in place? Assume you set up Boot drives in BIOS..
Looks like you need a System Repair Disk, or in your case a USB drive, to use your System Image
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2855-system-repair-disc-create-windows-8-a.html
Edit
My attempt failed as it deemed my SSD too small to restore the System Image to.
Had to re-size the 'C' Partition using EaseUs Partition Manager
http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html
Any probs I'll talk you through, reduce 'C' to less than the size of...

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
I had some problems with the external drive, but it was just a password protected thing that I couldn't unlock during a restore, but I fixed that problem. In the meantime I made another copy of C:\, this time it's smaller than my SSD, just in case. I'm trying this as I type. Here goes nothing!!

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Okay, everything so far is working, except that it won't actually put the image on the SSD.
This is what it says:

"The system image restore failed.

Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. This image was created on a computer using EFI and this computer is using BIOS."

That's all it says. Either this computer has a multiple personality disorder or, again, I'm doing something wrong. Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that I created the image with the "Windows 7 File Recovery" and that the Laptop is Windows 8? I might check the Bios settings, just to see if there's something obvious, like legacy mode or something.
Any thoughts?

DonQuixoteMC

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
The other Error is gone, now I have a new one...

" Re-image Your Computer(same heading on last message too)
No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found. Try the following: 1) A probable system disk may have been excluded by mistake. a. Review the list of disks you have excluded from the recovery for a likely disk. b. Type LIST DISK command in the DISKPART command interpreter. The probable system disk is usually the first disk listed in the results. c. If possible remove the disk from the exclusion list and then retry the recovery. 2) A USB disk may have been assigned as a system disk. a. Detach all USB disks from the computer. b. Reboot into windows recovery environment (WinRE), then reattach USB disks and retry the recovery. 3) An invalid disk may have been assigned as system disk. a. Physically detach the disk from your computer. Then boot into Win RE to retry the recovery. (0x80042412)"

I'm guessing that I needed to make a recovery disk when prompted by the Windows 7 File Recovery. I had skipped it because it said that it did not detect a CD/DVD Burner. Maybe I can get it to write onto a USB? I'm not going to try it yet, I've been using the HDD "plug" a lot, I don't want to wreck it.

IF you can makes heads or tails of this, I would love to hear your ideas.
Thanks!

[Edit]: I did change the settings, I guess it was set to Legacy Boot support, and when I switched it back to UEFI only, it fixed the problem.

DonQuixoteMC

Yes, create a Recovery Drive by typing Recovery Drive at your Start Screen and choose Create Recovery drive. Use one of your other USB Flash drives. Boot with just that drive in place, and connect the image drive when prompted, ie when it can't find it!

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

By rights, you should have given up on me a while ago, so thanks for helping this far :)

Okay, well as for that suggestion, I already have a recovery drive. I went through the control panel and put a recovery drive onto the USB, which I need to "boot" into recovery mode. It has the bootmgr.efi file on it. Unless you mean something else. What I used was the "Create Recovery Drive" utility (It's the one that asks if you want to put the recovery partition on it as well)

I'll check again, but I think I do have a recovery drive.
It seemed that there was a difference at the time with the "Windows 7 File Recovery" thing, but maybe not. Like I said, I will check!

And, everything ELSE works. I set BIOS so that the computer boots from the USB, I go through the steps: Restore Image file, Select the drive (the SSD) and everything is going perfectly until... Error message: "The System Image restore has failed" and that I need a "recovery disk."

It's bizarre.

And seriously, you've helped me so much, I don't expect you to keep spending time on this. You can bail out if you want

Thanks again

DonQuixoteMC

With you till we reach a satisfactory conclusion! One difference, did you opt for inclusion of your Recovery Partition? Might be causing a problem...
What I see in File Explorer
Recovery Drive

GiBViC7.png

System Image Drive
BjlUw33.png

Which contains
LBDtWGg.png

(The name of the laptop ) Then
1fbcc9d876d041d7a0eaebe.png

Hope this help!

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
I think you may be right! It's the only thing I didn't do (Because I somehow messed up my OneKeyRecovery) But I think I can manually move it over from the partition. I'll just check to see if it has the right folders and stuff.

AND I was curious, if I manage to mess this up to, could I just manually move the files I needed onto the SSD? Like by booting up with the HDD then just copying and pasting things (Like the operating system) onto the SSD? I guess that's last case scenario, but I was wondering if it would work.
Thanks again!

DonQuixoteMC

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

Hahaha Oh, I didn't know it did that :D

Per your advice, I already downloaded it. Awesome thanks!! I'm still considering options, but soon I'll let you now about the final verdict.

DonQuixoteMC

Vinas

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
You need a system builder Windows 8 iso. It costs $99 on amazon, or torrent. This is the only answer besides making a recovery disk using the recovery partition that your system is supposed to come with. I know, it sucks that's the way microsoft prevents you from loading your software on other computers. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.