I need some help with my tight budget gaming PC?

a2242364

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Ok so I'm working on building my first LOW budget gaming PC with hopefully some nice upgrades in the near future. I'm trying to save as much money as I can at the moment, so I'm wondering if you guys could help analyse my build and possibly make a few helpful suggestions. I'm willing to spend around 20 dollars more if need be to enhance the build, but only if it is worth the extra performance. I also want some insight on the cooling of the build. Do I need extra heatsinks or anything? I may have a few 3-4 year old fans and heatsinks in my current computer that I may be able to use but idk much about cooling? Speaking of cooling, does my case do a sufficient job with airflow? How long approx will this build last? I'm only playing on a 1400x900 resolution monitor. Are the parts 100 percent compatible, as in I won't have any trouble with putting everything together?

BTW for the OS and harddrive, I already have those so don't tell I need them as well. I also have a Corsair 620HX PSU. Is this sufficient?

There are obviously a lot of questions here, so I will be EXTREMELY happy if someone can assist me :) Prefer someone with a long computer building experience.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/a2242364/saved/43pC#incompatibilities

Solution
Yes, all of your parts work togeather. I personally own an x4 750k CPU and it gets the job done fantastically. FM2+ is the newest AMD socket, so this CPU is slightly dated, but it is still powerful enough for almost any game from my experience (I'm using a radeon 7850 GPU). The AM3+ socket is slowly being phased out by FM2/FM2+, but they are still popular because the have been the standard for so long and they allow for L3 cache.

As for airflow, your case will be more than sufficient. Just remember this: the goal is to move an equal amount of air from the front of the case out the back. Keeping the airflow even will smooth the flow of air, and will allow for positive airflow. To do this, try putting an equal amount of intake fans as...

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
So your budget is 500? 520 if stretched. Well, the athlons days are numbered. Better to go with a am3+ socket. I only used the 6300 since your budget is tight. YOU CAN upgrade to the 8320/8350 later on so you do have room for upgrades. Same with RAM and GPU. You also didn't have a psu. Also, if the OS is on a usb, that is fine. BUT, if the OS is on the harddrive, beware if it was from an OEM. IT WILL NOT WORK. It will be locked to a machine with the same specs. You should also reuse the fans from the old case. There is a 20 USD 4 for 1 fan pack from coolermaster. They seem to be very good, especially for the price. I don't know what the price is in Canada. Also, there is no DVD drive in this one. It went to 530. The previous build you posted was weak in the CPU department. Also, THERE WILL BE NEED FOR AN AFTERMARKET COOLER.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/39RU1
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/39RU1/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/39RU1/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($124.99 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.80 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($84.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($189.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($58.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $568.74
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-14 17:09 EDT-0400)

DonnyTechMaster

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Yes, all of your parts work togeather. I personally own an x4 750k CPU and it gets the job done fantastically. FM2+ is the newest AMD socket, so this CPU is slightly dated, but it is still powerful enough for almost any game from my experience (I'm using a radeon 7850 GPU). The AM3+ socket is slowly being phased out by FM2/FM2+, but they are still popular because the have been the standard for so long and they allow for L3 cache.

As for airflow, your case will be more than sufficient. Just remember this: the goal is to move an equal amount of air from the front of the case out the back. Keeping the airflow even will smooth the flow of air, and will allow for positive airflow. To do this, try putting an equal amount of intake fans as you have exhaust. This will cause even airflow.

I would also suggest a 1600 x 900 resolution, because from my understanding it is a bit more widescreen and looks better when gaming.

Finally, I would suggest that you get a better heatsink because the CPU you chose generates a lot of heat (about 55c when idle with stock cooler). If it will fit in your case, a Hyper 212 Evo cooler would be more than sufficient for cooling your CPU.

Solution