[SOLVED] i need some help

doombot897

Reputable
Jan 28, 2018
first off heres my system specs and worth noting I'm not on that pc since its not working

CPU: FX-8370
GPU: XFX RX 460 4gb single fan
MB:MSI 970 gaming
RAM: 8gb ddr3 2133
PSU:500 watt
CASE: raidmax ninja 2
HDD: 1tb ED green power (old and is now formatted)

ok so to start it turns on and the HDD activity light doesn't work even tho the HDD is on, I know it works tested with other machine.
GPU works as it should in the other machine to
the PSU works and is powering the machine I'm typing on
I tested the MB with an other CPU:FX-4350 and it still did the same thing
I cant test the CPUs with an other MB since I don't have an there AM3+ socket
I cant test RAM either but it was working fine right before it crashed
as did everything tho so I cant say that it works

I tried cables and almost everything oh it doesn't post btw it turns on lights and all no HDD activity light and no post but again the HDD works so I don't know what is going on

I just want help understanding if its broken and I need to buy new parts or its something I can fix

also I did clear Cmos and removed the little battery and cleaned everything

thank you for helping

Solution
There shouldn't be any oil, unless you're confused and are looking at the thermal paste. If the oil is around the heatsink, it should just be silicone oil and non-conductive, if it's near the vrm's, it should also be non-conductive, but oil there usually means that the vrm's were overheating, and a common issue with msi. But if you found nothing else, then, alas, the board can't be repaired and is dead.

I guess you can attempt to clean the oil from the board with some alcohol and a towel, otherwise, it's fubar.
If the pc spins up and there is no activity other then the initial hdd startup(only the initial busy sounds, If the hdd sounds busy, clicking and reading/searching, it may be something else, but the hdd light says its not), the board is likely dead.

You can visually inspect the board to see if a capacitor failed, some people replace them to fix a board sometimes, but that's a stretch.

There shouldn't be any oil, unless you're confused and are looking at the thermal paste. If the oil is around the heatsink, it should just be silicone oil and non-conductive, if it's near the vrm's, it should also be non-conductive, but oil there usually means that the vrm's were overheating, and a common issue with msi. But if you found nothing else, then, alas, the board can't be repaired and is dead.

I guess you can attempt to clean the oil from the board with some alcohol and a towel, otherwise, it's fubar.

Solution

doombot897

Reputable
Jan 28, 2018
Thank you for your help and I'm going to buy a different board at frys today also I took the heat sink off and oily stuff was all over those were the vrms under it so i think thats bad