Question I need some helping choosing memory for a computer im building

Jul 18, 2019
A friend is helping me build a computer. I don't really know anything about computers. So far I bought an AMD Ryzen 7 2700x processor with wraith prism led cooler and an ASUS Tuf x470-plus gaming motherboard. My friend told me to get memory that is on the qualified vendor list at microcenter. The guy at microcenter said that doesnt matter and any will work and it is impossible to find a match. He sold me a Ballistix bls8g4d32aesbk. This is not on the qualified vendor list. Is this a good product? Should I return this and get something on the QVL. I am planning on doing video editing. Is there a ram on the QVL that would be best for this?

well there is 1 good thing you bought it at micro center so you have 30days from date of purchase to try it out, if its not for you then return it but most of the time they credit a in store credit.
still not bad if there is another set they have in stock you want.
I also shop at M C DTC Denver. in case you didn't Know on the mobo and Cpu you only have 15days to return or exchange.
what M C what city ? i will look at your city store stock to see what could be a better match.
Did that salesman ask you what you are doing with the ssytem ?.
Regardless of that He should have told you that Ryzen runs better with 2 stick then 1stick.

Jul 18, 2019
well there is 1 good thing you bought it at micro center so you have 30days from date of purchase to try it out, if its not for you then return it but most of the time they credit a in store credit.
still not bad if there is another set they have in stock you want.
I also shop at M C DTC Denver. in case you didn't Know on the mobo and Cpu you only have 15days to return or exchange.
what M C what city ? i will look at your city store stock to see what could be a better match.
Did that salesman ask you what you are doing with the ssytem ?.
Regardless of that He should have told you that Ryzen runs better with 2 stick then 1stick.

I bought it at the Micro Center in St Louis Park Minnesota. I bought a set of 2 8 GB stick set. My main concern is it's not on the qualified vendor list. I'm not sure how important that is

If the guy at Micro center sold you three bls8g4d32aesbk it would mean you have (3x8) individual 8GB kits.
He didn't do you any favors as kits should be a single kit due to Latency differences during manufacture and why manufacturers bin and match their kits.
Crucial are good quality DIMMs and although they should work, they have not been tested by the MB manufacture to operate in conjunction with the MB.
The DIMMs you have bought are 3200MHz rated RAM which are beyond the JDEC standard and therefore OC RAM.
What that means is you will have to manually change your primary Timings and voltage in Bios to get them working at their rated frequency.
As you have no experience OC (Overclocking) it would be advised you get a single kit of 16MB (2X8) or 32GB (for video editing) at 2666MHz that are listed on the MB QVL.
OFC faster RAM are better for video editing, if you wish to learn how to OC and learn your Bios or someone can do that for you.

Based on the current stock in your store and searching asus's website between all 3 gen's QVL's even though none of them specified 32 gb there is 1 i could match up in all 3 gen's and 2gen igpu + athlon cpu's. The g.skill trident z is rated for 3000mhz which is not shabby even for video editing and this ram does oc easy.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...desktop-memory-kit-f4-3000c16d-32gtzr---black

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-desktop-memory-kit-f4-320016d-16gtzr---black

Watch this JayzTwoCents youtube video

Amd ryzen overclokcking guide: How far will the 2700x go?