[SOLVED] I need some more experienced advice (build and PSU)

Oct 28, 2020
I am building a new PC in preparation for the new AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU and AMD Radeon RX 6800XT GPU (probably the AMD original one).

My goals for the build are:
  • Expanding on my video-editing skills (Adobe Ae and Pr & screen-capture)
  • Maybe working on some 3D modeling (mostly CAD)
  • Gaming
  • Probably play around with water-cooling and overclocking (amateur enthusiast)
I’m not wanting to go full out, but I want to build as high end as I can afford.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Mobo: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi (because of the great VRMs)
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-4000C19D-32GTZR (CPU optimized for 4000MHz(?))
SSD: Corsair Force MP600 2TB (or equivalent)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
Cooling: 4x 140mm + AIO for CPU (or custom loop for CPU, to be added onto later(?))
Case: Phanteks P600S or EVOLV X
RGB: Some would be nice, but not planning to make a big fuzz about it.

That is what I have in mind. If any of my goals get serious, doubling the RAM and adding more memory is in my future, but that should not do much energy-wise. According to my amateur calculations, this setup should never really need more than 500W, which sounds very low. But, I have no clue what overclocking might add to normal operations. I was looking into the Seasonic Prime TX-750, just to overdo it. But after looking around some more the TX-650 would already be overdoing it.

Can somebody more experienced, tell me if this is a balanced enough build and what PSU would be advisable in my situation? Should I indeed go for a Prime TX or is the difference too small with the Prime PX? I did my research, but it is hard to truly understand what is happening under the hood, without some prior experience. I really hope this build will be the PC I can get that experience with ;)

Thanks in advance,
Bar Weinig.

Last edited:
Solution
We won't know for sure until the products launch & there are independent reviews.

Based on TDPs alone, the 5900X is 105W and the 6900XT is 300W.
TDPs aren't 100% accurate though AND you have the additional considerations from the balance of your components (Although CPU/GPU are the main ones).

I'd suggest working on the assumption your peak power draw, under stress tests etc will likely be in the 500-600W range to be safe. A quality ~550W unit will likely be able to functionally run it, 650W would give you a little bit of headroom & be a little more comfortable..... then a 750W better still.

I'd probably lean towards a quality 750W unit myself.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
We won't know for sure until the products launch & there are independent reviews.

Based on TDPs alone, the 5900X is 105W and the 6900XT is 300W.
TDPs aren't 100% accurate though AND you have the additional considerations from the balance of your components (Although CPU/GPU are the main ones).

I'd suggest working on the assumption your peak power draw, under stress tests etc will likely be in the 500-600W range to be safe. A quality ~550W unit will likely be able to functionally run it, 650W would give you a little bit of headroom & be a little more comfortable..... then a 750W better still.

I'd probably lean towards a quality 750W unit myself.

Reactions: Bar Weinig
Solution