I need some professional advice about my RAM please...

Alan 49

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
Hello everyone
Please excuse me as im not very good at this but i will do my best to be as clear as i can for you.
I have recently built a new pc with the following specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F3, 08/08/18
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-CF
BaseBoard Version x.x
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume4
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.17763.194"
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM - CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM
2x8GB DDR4 3200

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 10.8 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.3 GB
Available Virtual Memory 8.18 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Power - Zalman ZM1250 Platinum

I get a lot of crashes, blue screen, something about kernel power and other messages have come up.
But this seems to be when i use the built in profile in the BIOS for the ram, when i dont use this i just let the BIOS use the best settings, it downgrades my ram from 32 to about 21 i think it is.
But i do get a lot less crashes.
Is my ram not compatible for this MB or Ryzen 5 2600 chip?
If not then i will sell it and by something else which do you recommend? around the same 3200 speed, and about £150 ish? what would be more suitable for this and work well?
Games freeze a lot too and then it stops playing all together and goes back to desktop.
When i use the Aorus Easytune software to over clock the Ryzen from 3.4 to 3.6 it seems to run ok too, im sure its the ram when i use the profile in the BIOS, and by using this profile it seems to run at 3200 too and seem fairly quick. But its just the crashing thats driving me mad.

Any help here would be great, as im not sure whether to send back the MB in case its faulty, or the RAM?? I think its the ram but hopefully someone here will know.
Thank you in advance for any help at all i appreciate it.
I hope all the specs of my pc i posted above are what your hoping to see?

incompatible ram may produce crashes/bsod
run memtest86 with default ram clock (2133mhz)
if u will see any error, your mainboard cant drive those sticks
in that case look in mainboard support page for RAM QVL, here you should find plenty of compatible (tested) ram sticks

Alan 49

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
Thanks for your advice, i really am grateful.. I have looked in the big list in the manual for the mobo, but i couldnt understand what i was looking at, i was looking for 2x8gb @3200 and i couldnt see any, there was all other numbers, and im not very familiar with the ram side of things all that well.

I dont suppose you will know what will be a good 2x8gb sticks to use for this mobo? Someone said something about some Corsair ram, but there is loads of them, and i couldnt find the guy who said it again.
Sorry if i sounds like a pain :( I really tried to work this out myself, but ive not got a clear head as ive lost a good friend of mine recently so im finding it hard to concentrate. Really sorry.