[SOLVED] I need some RAM advice... (2x16GB B-die, 4x16GB or 2x32GB)

Oct 28, 2020
I'm making a partslist for a PC for video editing and encoding, a little CAD drawing and gaming. I'm pretty set on a MSI X570 Tomahawk, a AMD Ryzen 9 5900X and a Radeon RX 6800 XT (brand to be determent).
What has me for a spin is the RAM. I am looking for 3600MHz, non-RGB, DDR4 DIMMs and that's about what I do know... There are currently three sets on my shortlist:
  • Team Force Dark Pro 2x16GB CL16 Samsung B-die (TDPPD432G3600HC16GDC01)
  • G-Skill Trident Z 4x16GB CL17 "?"-die (F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKK)
  • Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 2x32GB CL18 Hynix M-die (PVB464G360C8K)
What would you advice me and why? Prices are all relatively close, so the 2x16GB seems a strange investment, but the Dark Pro's cas-latency is the lowest (and I kinda irrationally love the set ;)). The Trident Z's seem like the save bet and chances are I don't need to save up free DIMM-slots, but they're more expensive than the next set. The Vipers are beasts which allow me to upgrade to 128GB if I ever feel the need. But will I ever feel that need? And is a cas-latency of 18ns a noticeable disadvantage over the other two? Or am I totally overthinking this and should I just go for something else?
I've tried to find a clear answer, but it is difficult to get into so much detail...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
I personally have been using some Trident Z Neo B die and it has been quite satisfying if darned expensive when I purchased it. The ones I have are the RGB and were an aesthetic choice along with performance.
If the Dark Pro is calling you and looks right with the build, treat yourself...why not?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I personally have been using some Trident Z Neo B die and it has been quite satisfying if darned expensive when I purchased it. The ones I have are the RGB and were an aesthetic choice along with performance.
If the Dark Pro is calling you and looks right with the build, treat yourself...why not?

Reactions: Bar Weinig
Solution
Oct 28, 2020
For 30 bucks more, I'd have double the size... And as I understand it, B-die is mostly useful for overclocking, and RAM-overclocking is mostly useful for Intel CPUs.

But, I hear you ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: punkncat

ph00ny

Commendable
Nov 17, 2020
I went with 4 x 8GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB CL14-15-15-35) after seeing a few articles about running 2x dual rank or 4x single rank ram for optimal performance in ryzen 5000 series
I initially wanted at least 64GBs of ram but we shall see how it is.

G Skill just announced 4000 speed rams in CL16-19-19-39 (Samsung B-Die) for Ryzen 5000 series in 16GB stick config

TRENDING THREADS