[SOLVED] I need some technical help with my pc, it randomly freezes, even at 55 C° at then it doesn't turn on after a time

Mar 1, 2021
I know this might be an odd question but when playing my screen freezes, it's not a system crash since I still listen spotify going on, discord notifications and even parts of the game still play; it's just the screen, so I have to hard reset it with the I/O button, but when it launches it gives me a buzzer error code [1 long beep, and 3 shorts] and it remains dark; after some time my pc goes backs to normal and screen turn on.
Reading the error codes of Asus, I noticed it could be related to a GPU issue.

I have this PC since December 2019, 1 year and 2 months by now and it's now that it starts giving me problems. I started checking temperature when playing to see if it was overheating, the sensors mark a normal temperature (between 50 C and 69 C), and to the touch, the pc feels doesn't feel too hot; also there aren't any artifacts of any class or glitches, the screen just freezes.

I tried using TechPowerUp GPU-Z to try to record some of this crashes, I managed to get like 4 and half record (one of them seems corrupted but since it's one of the largest ones I kept it just in case), but to be honest, even using a software called "Generic Log Viewer" to watch them in graphs, I still don't know what I am looking for.

All that I noticed is that values like "Power Consumption (%)" and "GPU Voltage" drop to 0 around the moment of the crash.
I hope some of you know how to help me or are familiar with this, I am afraid that my gpu is damaged.

I will leave Specs and Logs below, the logs, since it's hard for me to put them raw in the post I added them to a rar file, you can download them via drive

[SPECS]
  • CPU: Intel Core I5-9400F
  • Mainboard: AsusTek // PRIME h310M-E R2.0 [Bus Specs: PCI-EXPRESS 3.0]
  • 8GB DDR4 (3666MHz) Single Channel
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Current Driver Version: 461.09
  • Power Supply: Azza PSAZ-550W AD-Z550
[Logs]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15sX1IhqKcQJ5rD2feJhZuuF6tdmWhiKe/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Solution
freezing isn't windows, it crashes with bsod. I am not sure you aren't looking at PSU

i hate this new pattern of not including an igpu in CPU, it doesn't help. Could test the VGA errors then

PC staying on and turning GPU off could be lack of power, it has enough to keep everything else on but shut off GPU

Anything show in reliability history at the same time as screen goes off? it will show a hardware error as it sees the restart process (using button on case) as an error.

I would try testing PSU
the paper clip method - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-paperclip-method-of-testing-a-psu.1336402/
or multimeter,
or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. -...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Azza PSAZ-550W AD-Z550
I just LOVE how MULTIPLE sites conveniently avoid displaying the psu label. It's like they have something to hide... /s
Highly likely the psu is a cheap piece of crap.

Also:
it doesn't turn on after a time

Refusing to power on for a set period of time - I think that's what you're trying to say?
Well, I know that is one of the common symptoms of an overheating psu...

Mar 1, 2021
I just LOVE how MULTIPLE sites conveniently avoid displaying the psu label. It's like they have something to hide... /s
Highly likely the psu is a cheap piece of crap.

Also:
it doesn't turn on after a time

Refusing to power on for a set period of time - I think that's what you're trying to say?
Well, I know that is one of the common symptoms of an overheating psu...
I mean it doesn't refuse to power on, it actually does, it's just that the screen remains black and there's a buzzer code [1 long, 3 shorts]

I read that for Asus motherboards it means an irregularity with the GPU

And it's not a general crash, things keep going, it's not a sudden power off, not a reset or a Blue screen of death, things just freeze up; Spotify keeps playing music and I can still hear the game, it's just the screen freezed, after that, sometimes I listen like if a USB was connected, next thing I do is force a power off.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Irregularity with the gpu... doesn't specify what though - don't know if it's a bad driver, or hot Vram... heck, maybe you have a monitor cable going bad.

And it's not a general crash, things keep going, it's not a sudden power off, not a reset or a Blue screen of death, things just freeze up; Spotify keeps playing music and I can still hear the game, it's just the screen freezed, after that, sometimes I listen like if a USB was connected, next thing I do is force a power off.
I had a similar experience to this a couple-few months ago, that a psu replacement fixed. But it was a Seasonic Prime Titanium 750 that saw almost 5 years of use, and there was also a fair bit of tinkering with overclocking too.
It wouldn't black screen, but it would do a soft freeze of sorts, and I could still hear music at the time if some was playing. But if I clicked anything else, it would completely freeze, and I'd be forced to restart.
Going into Msi Afterburner and applying a lower power limit(50%) was a workaround until I got the new psu.

1)Try running the PC with all your fans maxed out and see if anything changes.
2)Msi Afterburner, reduce gpu power limit to 50% and check.
3)Windows DISM and sfc scan: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca (steps 2 - 5.)
4)If you had an AMD gpu before this one, run Display Driver Uninstaller and use it to remove the AMD driver. If not, you can skip this one.

5)Your current psu isn't a good one, and gaming gpus are the most stressful parts of the PC a psu has to deal with. Don't be too surprised if you end up having to replace it(psu).

Mar 1, 2021
Irregularity with the gpu... doesn't specify what though - don't know if it's a bad driver, or hot Vram... heck, maybe you have a monitor cable going bad.

I had a similar experience to this a couple-few months ago, that a psu replacement fixed. But it was a Seasonic Prime Titanium 750 that saw almost 5 years of use, and there was also a fair bit of tinkering with overclocking too.
It wouldn't black screen, but it would do a soft freeze of sorts, and I could still hear music at the time if some was playing. But if I clicked anything else, it would completely freeze, and I'd be forced to restart.
Going into Msi Afterburner and applying a lower power limit(50%) was a workaround until I got the new psu.

1)Try running the PC with all your fans maxed out and see if anything changes.
2)Msi Afterburner, reduce gpu power limit to 50% and check.
3)Windows DISM and sfc scan: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca (steps 2 - 5.)
4)If you had an AMD gpu before this one, run Display Driver Uninstaller and use it to remove the AMD driver. If not, you can skip this one.

5)Your current psu isn't a good one, and gaming gpus are the most stressful parts of the PC a psu has to deal with. Don't be too surprised if you end up having to replace it(psu).

Well I tried the DISM option, and it returned the error 0x800f081f
I guess that's not something good

With the MSI afterburner option, would it affect in performance?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well I tried the DISM option, and it returned the error 0x800f081f
I guess that's not something good

With the MSI afterburner option, would it affect in performance?
I'm having to ask for help with that first one - I've never seen it before. Hopefully, I'll get a quick response.

As for the 2nd one: Of course it will, but that's not the point.
If it's not hitting the psu as hard, then it shouldn't freeze, or at least that's the idea behind it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, I found something - haven't heard back from anyone yet...

Open command prompt again as admin, and enter:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

After errors are found and displayed, type the following command again:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

If a message appears notifying you that the Source files could not be found, you have to restore them from a Windows installation DVD or an ISO file.
From there, you will download and generate an ISO file using the Windows Media Creation Tool. Get it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (below where it says Create Win 10 installation media)

To restore the source files for the repair using the ISO file, enter the drive path for the Windows installation image in the DISM command tool:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:X:\sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Replace the drive letter X: with the drive letter of your the storage drive holding the ISO file.

After DISM successfully completes the repair, start the System File Checker in the same Command Prompt window:
sfc/scannow

Lastly, go to Windows Update. You may see one or more updates to install there.

Mar 1, 2021
Ok, I found something - haven't heard back from anyone yet...

Open command prompt again as admin, and enter:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

After errors are found and displayed, type the following command again:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

If a message appears notifying you that the Source files could not be found, you have to restore them from a Windows installation DVD or an ISO file.
From there, you will download and generate an ISO file using the Windows Media Creation Tool. Get it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (below where it says Create Win 10 installation media)

To restore the source files for the repair using the ISO file, enter the drive path for the Windows installation image in the DISM command tool:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:X:\sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Replace the drive letter X: with the drive letter of your the storage drive holding the ISO file.

After DISM successfully completes the repair, start the System File Checker in the same Command Prompt window:
sfc/scannow

Lastly, go to Windows Update. You may see one or more updates to install there.
I will try that of the DISM rn

idk if this helps or not... but today has been a really frustrating day, the pc just won't cooperate
for example if I reset it, even if I didn't had any problem before, it will just give me the same buzzer code, but the computer just don't feels hot at all... nothing seems abnormal... I ran a test with furmark and recorded the results, it... quite doesn't make sense...

[the log:] https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fGxJhcihgBEL7clbYw7SX_a-hSWj6-4u/view?usp=sharing

by this point I'm extremely confused on what the cause it would be, and I am deeply concerned that my gpu might be damaged

also I tried that with the MSI Afterburner but the power limit is not permanent, it just resets again to 100% after a reset

Colif

Win 11 Master
that dism command won't work.

the Media creation tool doesn't include the wim file, i went down this route a few days ago

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:E:\sources\install.esd /limitaccess

(change E to drive letter off the ISO)

is the right command. Spacing is important, make sure it matches or you will get error 50 :)

note. Due to user being on 20H2 already, you could just do this - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Mar 1, 2021
The Furmark run doesn't really show anything.

1)It's not ideal for it to be permanent.
2)Is it safe to assume that it still froze after applying the 50% power limit?
Sorry responding a bit late, Yeah, I tried applying 50% of power limit, it still frozes, I can try a second time just in case, but after today I'm not sure at all...

Usually when it frozes, it takes some minutes before it turns on again
But today, trying a game again, in the minimum settings, it froze/crashed again
this time it took a bit longer than before, and I was starting to worry if this one it was dead for good

Idk if it was an illusion of time by myself because I quickly got impacient, so Idk if time just felt longer or if it was the same

Colif

Win 11 Master
freezing isn't windows, it crashes with bsod. I am not sure you aren't looking at PSU

i hate this new pattern of not including an igpu in CPU, it doesn't help. Could test the VGA errors then

PC staying on and turning GPU off could be lack of power, it has enough to keep everything else on but shut off GPU

Anything show in reliability history at the same time as screen goes off? it will show a hardware error as it sees the restart process (using button on case) as an error.

I would try testing PSU
the paper clip method - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-paperclip-method-of-testing-a-psu.1336402/
or multimeter,
or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583

Solution