Question I need some tips on some of my future PC parts and some questions answered.

SomeDude485

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
Hello everyone i have decided i want to build a PC and i have searched quite a bit and i have decided on the parts i will get.

Let me start by saying that i know a lot of people think AMD=Master race or Intel=Master race or etc. The reason i mention this is because i want to say that i am almost set on getting that CPU and GPU that you can see in the screenshot i provided below. What i want tips and info on is the rest of the parts. The only thing i want to know about the CPU and GPU is do they bottleneck each other? I used an online tester that said that they will not cause a bottleneck, but not sure if that is true, please someone confirm for me. If my CPU and GPU are bottlenecked, then please feel free to suggest a change, but if they aren't, these are the ones i want to get. EDIT: My opinion on the CPU was heavily changed, i have switched to AMD for the CPU, sorry for being an idiot.

Will that cooling fan i have chosen be good enough to cool my CPU? I also need to mention THAT I WILL NOT BE OVERCLOCKING my CPU or GPU. I did some search online and found that the RTX 2060 runs quite hot, will that be a problem for me and if how can i fix it? I also do not want a watercooler, i do realise that they make less noise and can even potentially make the system run even cooler, but i still want to stick with air cooling. Do i need a better air cooler?

I do not care much for speed so i want to stick to the 2TB HHD instead of getting an SSD. I don't want both of them either, im fine with only having 1 HDD. If anything i may just go with 1TB instead but i saw that the price difference wasn't big so i just went with 2TB for just a few extra bucks.

I want my RAM to be 2 sticks of 8GB DDR4-3600, i choose the cheapest one i could find that was from what seemed a trusted manufacturer. Please tell me if my choice was bad and just to be safe i should go with some RAM with a higher price.

I want my PSU to be from a trusted manufacturer and an 80+ Gold certified, so i went with a Cooler Master one. I know that Cooler Master makes great coolers but i do not know about PSUs, please tell me if i should get it from a different brand. The PcPartPicker website says that my system will eat up about 359W of power, i am aware that your PSU needs to be bigger than that by atleast 100-150W. Is my 650W way too much? Please tell me if i can get away with buying a 550W power supply without worrying about anything.

As for my case, i really do not care about it. I do not care about looks all i want is the cheapest case i can find that has a good airflow system. I don't know anything about cases so any suggestions you may have about cheap cases that you know have a great airflow system please say so. I also need some help involving case fans, i have no clue if many cases even ship fans with them and if they do, are they any good? I want to know if i need to buy the case fans separately and put them in, as i said my GPU with run hot from the info i can gather, as i also said I WILL NOT OVERCLOCK. And please tell me how many case fans i need, from the info i gathered i need 3, but please confirm this for me.

Now this is the hardest choice i face for the moment, my Motherboard. I don't want to spend too much on the motherboard but from what i have gathered that is a bad thing, it's better to be safe when it comes to motherboards, that's what i have gathered atleast. I am not sure where to go from here, i chose that Gigabyte board that you see which is a Micro-ATX board. I do realse that getting a bigger board will make me able to upgrade my system in the future but i am not interested in that, the reason i say this is because i suspect my PC to be able to handle potentionally every new game that comes out at least on medium settings at 1080p. I may be wrong on this of course no one knows for sure, but i do not care much about upgrading. Please tell me if i am wrong for thinking so. I want to also know if this cheap motherboard will be good enough and not cause trouble. I have another board that i could get which is way more expensive but the second cheapest one i can get. The board in question is an MSI Z390-A PRO, which is an ATX board, meaning bigger and useable for future upgrades it costs roughly 144$. PcPartPicker said that this board can fit an RTX 2080 and even an i9-9900k, which i could get in the late future as upgrades. Please someone tell me if it is okay to risk it and go with a cheap Micro-ATX board instead of having to spend over 150$ on an ATX board. This is one of the biggest worries i have at the moment, please help me on this. Gonna say this again i do not care much for upgrades, if the Micro-ATX board will be fine and not cause trouble, i will go with it no problem.

Here is some important info for you to know:
I will play all my games on 1080p.
I chose a 1080p 60 HZ monitor, i have nothing against it and it seems fine to me, i am wrong about it please tell me. That Monitor i have on my PCPartPicker list is probably not the one i will get, there are probably many 1080p monitors around the 100$ range and that's what i want to get, Unless i am missing out on something huge by not getting a 144Hz, then please say so. I realise my PC can play some games on 1444P but i am not interested in that.

Please answer the questions i provided and give me tips on upgrades. Thank you. :D Here is the PcPartPicker screenshot of all of my parts. I didn't include it on this screenshot but it goes without saying that i will get Windows 10, that is the only piece of info i did not have in the screenshot, i have nothing else apart from this on my PcPartPicker list, if i am missing something important please say so.
4ivCyG6.png

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qpL48d/msi-z390-a-pro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-a-pro

Last edited:

Captaingadget

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
Can't see any problems with what you've picked, my only major recommendation would be to get an SSD, even just a small one to put the OS on, you'll see a huge improvement in boot times. I don't think that the 2060 will be a problem, just make sure you have a few case fans (are they included with the case?) and cables are tidy and not blocking airflow.

Personally I wouldn’t build a system around a 6 thread i5. We are seeing them being pushed very hard already in some games. We know the 10th gen i5 will have hyperthreading giving it 12 threads. I’d either wait for 10th gen, go with an i7 or go Ryzen. I’d just feel the current i5’s are going to age badly.

Spec13

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
I find the parts you've chosen to be perplexing, at best. Basing the system around the i5 is not a long-term viable option. For bang for buck performance, the system could be optimized heavily and there are far superior part options available.

SomeDude485

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
Can't see any problems with what you've picked, my only major recommendation would be to get an SSD, even just a small one to put the OS on, you'll see a huge improvement in boot times. I don't think that the 2060 will be a problem, just make sure you have a few case fans (are they included with the case?) and cables are tidy and not blocking airflow.
Personally I wouldn’t build a system around a 6 thread i5. We are seeing them being pushed very hard already in some games. We know the 10th gen i5 will have hyperthreading giving it 12 threads. I’d either wait for 10th gen, go with an i7 or go Ryzen. I’d just feel the current i5’s are going to age badly.
I find the parts you've chosen to be perplexing, at best. Basing the system around the i5 is not a long-term viable option. For bang for buck performance, the system could be optimized heavily and there are far superior part options available.

Thank you sooo much for the info everyone. I see that me choosing the i5 seemed to be a big mistake on my part. The best Ryzen CPU that i found to fit with my card without causing a bottleneck seemed to be the Ryzen 5 2600X, if am wrong please tell me. Really sorry for being stubborn at first it was just that i am used to Intel and Nvidia so i wanted to go with them because i have never used an AMD product before and i was blinded by my love for Intel, but i see that the AMD has the CPU market for themselves at the moment, sorry for being an idiot. :/

As for the case the one i chose on the list is a place holder, what i wanted to know is how many fans i needed for my GPU and if cheap cases are a viable option and will not cause too much trouble. I see that i should check if the case comes with 3 fans or not and check if it has room for cable management based on reviews, i will be careful when choosing the case. Are the fans that cases come with good enough genereally speaking?

Now that i changed the CPU that also means new Motherboard, Gigabyte seems to have the exact same Motherboard i used on my PcPartPicker list for both AMD and Intel, costing the same. This Motherboard was judged by reviews as good and even was picked as Amazon's Choice, i am hoping it's good.

I also see that i got recommended an SSD to mainly put Windows 10 on for it to load faster i assume, and potentionally some non-steam games. Thanks everyone for the info.

What about the PSU though? Do you guys know if i have too much extra power and if that Cooler Master PSU is bad?

Last edited:

Spec13

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Thank you sooo much for the info everyone. I see that me choosing the i5 seemed to be a big mistake on my part. The best Ryzen CPU that i found to fit with my card without causing a bottleneck seemed to be the Ryzen 5 2600X, if am wrong please tell me.

As for the case the one i chose on the list is a place holder, what i wanted to know is how many fans i needed for my GPU and if cheap cases are a viable option and will not cause too much trouble. I see that i should check if the case comes with 3 fans or not and check if it has room for cable management based on reviews, i will be careful when choosing the case.

Now that i changed the CPU that also means new Motherboard, Gigabyte seems to have the exact same Motherboard i used on my PcPartPicker list for both AMD and Intel, costing the same. This Motherboard was judged by reviews as good and even was picked as Amazon's Choice, i am hoping it's good.

I also see that i got recommended an SSD to mainly put Windows 10 on for it to load faster i assume, and potentionally some non-steam games. Thanks everyone for the info.

What about the PSU though? Do you guys know if i have too much extra power and if that Cooler Master PSU is bad?

Try and get a 1600AF and save some money. The PSU you listed is fine, if not overkill.

SomeDude485

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
Try and get a 1600AF and save some money. The PSU you listed is fine, if not overkill.

I did some research but i couldn't find much info about this 1600AF, i didn't even find a place that seemed to sell it. From what i got is that it is simply a CPU that was meant to be a 2600 but didn't meet the requirements by just a bit. If that's the case i can simply go with a 2600 instead, i saw that the 2600 and 2600X were very similar and i wasn't trading off a huge amount of perfomance, for choosing the 2600 which is around 50$ cheaper, i also think if i go with a lower power CPU than the 2600 with this GPU it might cause a bottleneck, please again tell me if am wrong.

Would a 550W PSU be enough for my system? I was thinking i had too much as well but would it run fine with simply 550W, can i be sure of it?

Another thing i should say is that i am waiting for a NewEgg sale or even Amazon and see about getting the parts then, is this good? Is me waiting useless because the parts will not drop that much in price anyways? The sales i was waiting for are the ones that usually happen in November.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS