Question I need suggestions for a cpu and motherboard

Jun 6, 2022
I bought a old OptiPlex. a weird choose in PC gaming I will admit. however past the graphics card (RX 470) I find it is hard to keep a stable framerate without stuttering in titles that seem to be more CPU intensive. EX valorant, my CPU temp will be about 70C and at 100% usage, on the other hand my GPU can sit at a cool 53C and 40-80% usage when the framerate is capped to 60, however uncapping the framerate I can reach about 140fps but with major stuttering and my CPU heating up to about 75- 77C which is odd as my CPU is the i5-4590 and people say the 'max' temp is 73C before it shuts down. mine doesn't do that. anyways I was wondering if anyone knew a good budget CPU + motherboard pair that works well with a rx 470 and maybe even a 1660TI

Motherboard is a LGA 1150

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of said motherboard?

You might want to mention the model for your Dell Optiplex as well as it's SKU. We're also going to need to know the make and model of your PSU(and it's age) in order to understand what we'll be suggesting as an upgrade over your existing platform.

Jun 6, 2022
My motherboard comes from the optiplex 9020 MT I'm not sure how to check the SKU, however I belive my PSU is a evga 650 watt, maybe 750 but I'm going to say 650 just to be safe

Last edited:
I bought a old OptiPlex. a weird choose in PC gaming I will admit. however past the graphics card (RX 470) I find it is hard to keep a stable framerate without stuttering in titles that seem to be more CPU intensive. EX valorant, my CPU temp will be about 70C and at 100% usage, on the other hand my GPU can sit at a cool 53C and 40-80% usage when the framerate is capped to 60, however uncapping the framerate I can reach about 140fps but with major stuttering and my CPU heating up to about 75- 77C which is odd as my CPU is the i5-4590 and people say the 'max' temp is 73C before it shuts down. mine doesn't do that. anyways I was wondering if anyone knew a good budget CPU + motherboard pair that works well with a rx 470 and maybe even a 1660TI

Before you start changing stuff get a can of air and a small brush.
Give the innards a good cleaning.
Heat sinks and fans extra clean.
Look close at the heat sinks over time the fins can get packed with crud.

Dell pc's will usually be made with non standard components.
Motherboard, case, psu.
Some photos of what you actually have would help.
To do better, you are facing a complete build.

Intel throttle point for cpu temperature is about 100c.
Measure with HWmonitor.