I need suggestions.

cheesy_almond

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
My motherboard is on its death throes, after a virus infection. Need suggestions for a new one.

Processor: amd fx 8350
GPU: gtx 1070
Memory: 8.0 Gb
Previous Motherboard: Asus m5 A97 R2.0
Budget: kinda hard to explain, different currency...

Solution
1. The ability to use more than one GPU comes at a price premium, so I'd propose to drop it, you can invest the money better elsewhere. If you want more graphics horsepower, you can simply sell the 1070 and get something stronger like a 1080 Ti. I'll still include a second motherboard that supports it this time though.

2. No overclocking is cheaper, however, I'd seriously consider doing at least some light overclocking, espcially with AMD's Ryzen: You can overclock them all without a price premium, so it's practically wasted performance. Just my opinion.

3. That should be doable with most motherboards these days.

4. Same here, you'll have a hard time finding something with less than 4 SATA ports.

5. 7-8 ports on the back panel...

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
I haven't heard of viruses that wreck the mainboard, but whatever... (you should try completely reinstalling windows - wipe all drives completely before that - to make sure the hardware is actually damaged)

I wouldn't get any AM3+ motherboards anymore at this point, the platform is now heavily outdated (it's like getting a 1155 motherboard on the Intel side at this point in time).

Depending on budget and usecase, I'd either get an AM4 motherboard with B350 chipset (and put a Ryzen 3 processor on it) or, if they are available at affordable prices, a Core i3 from the new 8000 series on a modern Z370 motherboard.
Next step up would be Ryzen 5 on AMD's side and Intel i5-8000 series on Intel's side.
Buy 8GB of DDR4 memory if 8GB is enough for your needs atm, otherwise go with 16GB. If you go for an AMD Ryzen CPU, make sure to buy DDR4 memory rated for at least -2666 speeds.

cheesy_almond

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
Can you specify which part of my rig is outdated?...I need to take note at this point...My casing is Cool Master HAF 912, hope that helps...Wait, there's no such thing viruses wrecking boards??...Just makin' sure here...

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
CPU (old architecture), RAM ("old" standard DDR3, currently DDR4) and mainboard (old socket for only old architecture CPUs), to be specific ;)

Edit: No, I really haven't heard of viruses actually destroying/damaging hardware. Software-wise, there's a lot that could be broken by them, but hardware... would be news to me.

cheesy_almond

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
So...Any idea what type /brand ( need details) of Motherboard that suitable for me?...I play Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3 and my latest game Total Warhammer ( which strains my pc, stutters everywhere)....

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Motherboard brand is irrelevant (unless you're a fan of certain ones).

When you've decided on socket chipset, and form factor to use - I'll use an AM4 B350 board in standard ATX format as an example here - the only things that matter are needed and wanted features, e.g. a certain number of SATA/M.2/USB ports, USB Type-C, integrated Wifi, high quality onboard audio, RGB support, fan header count, amount of PCI-Express slots... the list is very long. (Edit: Motherboards only have a minimal impact on gaming performance, so no need to choose because of that.)

So if you want us to find a mainboard suited for your needs, you'll need to tell us what you absolutely need and what you'd wish to have. Remember, more features usually equals a higher price.

As long as we don't know, we can only give general advices. For example, the MSI B350 PC Mate is my definition of a standard mainboard: Great value, decent quality, standard ATX size, a bit of everything on the I/O side, but nothing particularly outstanding.

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Well, let me give you some questions you should know the answer for (perhaps you can post them here too):

1. How many graphics cards are going to be used (consider the future as well)? It's usually 1 tho.
2. Do you want to overclock the CPU? And if yes, only a bit or will you go full throttle to the maximum you can get?
3. How many fans are you using in your case? (including CPU hatsink fan(s))
4. How many SATA/M.2 ports do you need? Base this on the number of hard drives/SSDs/DVD drives you currently have and whether you want to be able to add more.
5. How many and what type of USB ports do you want/need? Base this on the amount of USB devices you usually have plugged in at all times, plus a few more to use USB sticks and such temporarily. Also note the USB ports your case has on the front panel, as the mainboard will require a header for these.
6. Looks: Do you have a specific colour scheme in mind? Do you want RGB stuff?

This is not everything, but it should cover the basics.

Edit: Looked up your case, it fits ATX mainboards, so that's the form factor you wanna get.

cheesy_almond

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
Well since you asked, here are the answers

1: I'll be using one or two (in the future) GTX 1070...I just got introduced to debts and the 'need' to have it..

2: No.

3. Four fans...Including the heatsink fans.

4. Already have 2 SATA cables for now...But I want to add up to 3...

5. Well I already have 2 on my casing, 4/6? on the previous motherboard...But I'm want to have around 7-8 usb ports...

6. Don't need looks (for now)..

Sorry for the late reply...

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
1. The ability to use more than one GPU comes at a price premium, so I'd propose to drop it, you can invest the money better elsewhere. If you want more graphics horsepower, you can simply sell the 1070 and get something stronger like a 1080 Ti. I'll still include a second motherboard that supports it this time though.

2. No overclocking is cheaper, however, I'd seriously consider doing at least some light overclocking, espcially with AMD's Ryzen: You can overclock them all without a price premium, so it's practically wasted performance. Just my opinion.

3. That should be doable with most motherboards these days.

4. Same here, you'll have a hard time finding something with less than 4 SATA ports.

5. 7-8 ports on the back panel exists, 6 is pretty much the standard nowadays.

6. Well, that always broadens the choice :)

So, here comes a list of motherboards that fulfill your requirements (at least the ones I know now):

ASRock: Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 (with SLI support)
ASUS: Strix B350-F Gaming (no SLI)
Gigabyte: AB350 Gaming 3 and AX370 Gaming K3 (both no SLI, former "only" 7 USB ports on back panel - all others here have 8)
MSI: B350 Gaming Pro Carbon (no SLI) and X370 SLI Plus (with SLI)

I stopped at the price point of the MSI X370 SLI Plus, as any more expensive boards should feature everything you want. All those boards support CPU overclocking, there were no A320 motherboards that met your requirements.

Solution

cheesy_almond

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions guys, after what you guys told me, I'll be going with intel i5 8600k processor and MSI Motherboard Amd Am4 X370 Sli Plus. Will it work??....I won't change the GPU, coz it'll hold for several years at least (I hope)...

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Ummmm, I'm starting to question how it could come to this, but.... no, that won't work at all.

You selected an Intel CPU (socket 1151) and a motherboard with the AM4 socket for AMD Ryzen CPUs. You won't even be able to put the CPU onto the motherboard in the first place!

You can now either switch the CPU and buy something like a Ryzen 5 1600(X) or instead keep the i5 and get a 1151 motherboard with a Z370 chipset.

I can understand that especially the chipset names might confuse you currently (Intel side B250, H270, Z270, Z370; AMD side A320, B350, X370), but your choice isn't compatible.

As for the GPU, yes, it should last for a while :)

cheesy_almond

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
You caught me on that one...Thank god I posted this on the thread...Thanks for heads up...Seriously, this not the kind of mistake that I want to make, intentionally or not...Thanks again...That a close one..

Gigabyte z370 hd3 Ultra Durable Motherboard (its actually in the name)

Previously mentioned Intel processor..

I think that should do it and then some??
Or should I go for the Asus

Motherboard Intel socket1151 z370 prime z370-p??

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Both boards are pretty similar, not many differences.

I'd probably go for the Gigabyte motherboard here, because it has more USB and SATA ports at the cost of one M.2 port - since I doubt you're going to be using 2 or more M.2 SSDs anytime soon(?)

Also the Gigabyte MB has more full-sized PCIe-Slots ,which could be nice for using several PCIe-x4 cards for example, but as you don't get more lanes than on the ASUS MB, it very likely won't ever matter.

The differences are few, so if you prefer the looks of one of those, you might as well go with that :)

cheesy_almond

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016

Can remind me what exactly m.2 port again??...Thank you in advance...

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
M.2 ports are currently primarily being used for SSDs. Usually, M.2 ports are conntected to the system via PCIe instead of SATA (though the latter exists too), thus providing much higher potential bandwidth. Also, M.2 SSDs are directly mounted into the port on the MB, instead of being connected through a cable like their SATA counterparts.

The speed boost you can get by using one is only worth it for a bootable drive with an OS like Windows on it, single programs or games for that matter won't see much of a boost.

Having 2 such ports obviously allows for 2 such SSDs to be used, allowing more M.2 disk space or a RAID configuration for even more insane speeds.

Most normal users won't notice the difference to a normal SATA SSD, it's currently a purely enthusiast thing to get let last ounce of speed out of your PC. Whether you're willing to pay a price premium over SATA for that is up to you.