[SOLVED] I need to access a wired printer through wifi network ?

Aug 3, 2021
I have a network setup now with 8 PC's, one server and one main laser printer "all pcs's also have a local printer connected" in a Domain with Static IP's assigned. I also have a Linksys - AC1900 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 5 Router, hooked up and plugged into the same Cisco router all the PC's, Server and Main Laser Printer plugin into. Right now anyone who gets on the Wi-Fi can get onto the internet but they can not print to the main laser printer.

My question is this: I would like to be able to have anyone who gets on the WI-FI "laptop, cellphone, etc", also be able to print to the main Laser printer. What is the easiest way to set this up?

Solution
I have a network setup now with 8 PC's, one server and one main laser printer "all pcs's also have a local printer connected" in a Domain with Static IP's assigned. I also have a Linksys - AC1900 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 5 Router, hooked up and plugged into the same Cisco router all the PC's, Server and Main Laser Printer plugin into. Right now anyone who gets on the Wi-Fi can get onto the internet but they can not print to the main laser printer.

My question is this: I would like to be able to have anyone who gets on the WI-FI "laptop, cellphone, etc", also be able to print to the main Laser printer. What is the easiest way to set this up?
Change the Linsys from a router to an access point. Check to see if there is an option in the...

kanewolf

Titan

Change the Linsys from a router to an access point. Check to see if there is an option in the GUI. If not, you can just disable the DHCP server and connect to a LAN port rather than a WAN port. DHCP will be handled by your primary DHCP server and all devices will be in the same subnet. That is the usual way to handle that problem.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Aug 3, 2021
Ok, thank you for the quick reply. I know there was something off as the desktops IP were 192.168.x.x and the WIFI devices were 10.1.x.x. So with this setup above, I would assign a static ip for the wireless router and then connect it to a lan port on the cisco and that is it?

kanewolf

Titan
Ok, thank you for the quick reply. I know there was something off as the desktops IP were 192.168.x.x and the WIFI devices were 10.1.x.x. So with this setup above, I would assign a static ip for the wireless router and then connect it to a lan port on the cisco and that is it?
It depends on the router. The good news is if you screw up, you can factory reset and start over.
Usually, you have to do something like the following
Connect a PC to the LAN ports. Set the DHCP address range to the same as you want. Assign a static IP to the router that you want, then DISABLE the DHCP server. Connect the uplink to a lan port. Verify that you can still get to the static IP you assigned.

Aug 3, 2021
Update: I was able to plugin a pc directly to port 1 on the Linksys router and login. I put it in Bridge mode "access point was not an option on the list" and the connected a cable from one of the lan ports on the Cisco to the WAN port on the Linksys WIFI Router. After I was not able to get any internet on the WIFI router "I check both on a laptop and also on another laptop plugged into port 2 on the Linksys". So I then went back in and assigned an IP to the Linksys and also a subnet and gateway. I applied this and tested again but still no internet on the Linksys. Ideas?

Also the options for Connection Type Internet Settings are: Automatic Configuration - DHCP, Bridge Mode, Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, Wireless Repeater, Wireless Bridge.

kanewolf

Titan
Update: I was able to plugin a pc directly to port 1 on the Linksys router and login. I put it in Bridge mode "access point was not an option on the list" and the connected a cable from one of the lan ports on the Cisco to the WAN port on the Linksys WIFI Router. After I was not able to get any internet on the WIFI router "I check both on a laptop and also on another laptop plugged into port 2 on the Linksys". So I then went back in and assigned an IP to the Linksys and also a subnet and gateway. I applied this and tested again but still no internet on the Linksys. Ideas?

Also the options for Connection Type Internet Settings are: Automatic Configuration - DHCP, Bridge Mode, Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, Wireless Repeater, Wireless Bridge.
Which specific model of Linksys do you have ? The EA6900? I would recommend you check the user's manual for your specific model. The EA6900 has steps for setting up as an access point.

You have already been instructed to connect to a LAN port three times. It honestly doesn't matter what mode you select on the Connectivity-->Internet Settings page--if there is nothing connected to the WAN port then it simply does not matter.

Some people do like to disable the DHCP server as it can improve stability and isn't being used anyway, when nothing is on the WAN port. That's the tickbox on the Connectivity-->Local Network page.

The problem is you have been using double-NAT so things on the 10.x subnet can use the internet but cannot communicate with anything on the 192.x subnet. If you stop using the WAN port then they will be on the same 192.x subnet as the desktops instead. I suggest changing the address of the EA7450 to something in that subnet, or else you won't be able to configure it without setting a fixed 10.x IP address on a PC--however even if you don't it should still pass 192.x packets and work fine.

The stock firmware of the EA7450 simply does not allow you to use the WAN port as just another LAN port. It also doesn't have any AP isolation mode because it expects you will use the Guest Access SSID for this instead. These features can be found in other Linksys AC1900 routers like the WRT1900AC, which was why telling us the model of router you have was important.

Aug 3, 2021
Understood. I left it in Bridge mode and then disabled the DHCP on the WIFI router also. I plugged in the Cisco router port 12, to port 1 on the Linksys WIFI router. I was able to connect to the WIFI and it gave me an ip of 192.168.1.xxx, I was able to print to network printers but it say no internet. Ideas what I am missing here?

Thanks