Question i need to build a server

hmazuji

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
i can't find an epyc 3251 soc motherboard that comes in a retail package, which would include interfaces with the case and power supply for the various headers on the board
asrock will have one of these models in production but it isn't available for another 6 weeks, and it isn't clear what accessories it will ship with
so i've resigned myself to repurposing a desktop. i've read that any pc would be able to run windows 2016 server essentials, however, the literature on the manufacturers website specifically states "OS - Microsof® Windows® 10 64-bit"
moreover, technical support from the manufacturer is emphatically not supporting m.s. server:
"Asrock desktop motherboard do not support any server version , please check server board from ASRock rack
https://www.asrockrack.com/
ASRock America Support"

i understand that i can install a server motherboard without connecting the headers, but if i'm not going to connect the headers, i might as well use a gaming motherboard, even though a gaming motherboard doesn't support registered ecc ram

the sites that teach you how to put together a gaming pc are multifarious, (pcpartspicker.com), but those sites don't talk about putting together a server

if i'm going to use a motherboard like
https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EPYC3251D4I-2T#Specifications
i would like to have all the interfaces that connect to the header in a retail box

my questions are:
  1. where can i find server motherboard accessories
  2. where can i find how to build a server
  3. will a gaming desktop such as the b450 itx ac from asrock able to host windows server, and if yes, why are they saying "no", and if "no", why not

What are server requirements for your application? CPU Power? Memory? Storage? Network?

There are several vendors of server-oriented motherboards and enclosures, I dont' know what you mean by "motherboard accessories" - this is more to do with particular motherboard - enclosure combination than with a particular motherboard.

Building a server is no different than building an office, multimedia or gaming PC. For example, I'm running WSE2016 on miniITX board, in standard miniITX enclosure, But my server load is not critical either.

And last but not least? Why you want to build a server in the first place, and not get something ready-made? I doubt you'll save a lot of money, especially for powerful server.

hmazuji

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
What are server requirements for your application? CPU Power? Memory? Storage? Network?
server requirements: to run windows server essentials 2016, 4 cores minimum, 16 gb ram
that's it. esoteric answer. i am running a program for an office that requires supporting multiple workstations

There are several vendors of server-oriented motherboards and enclosures
yes there are; dell, hpe, and supermicro
"motherboard accessories" would be the accouterments that would interface the headers of the mother board to the case and power supply. if it helps you, i can list them out, or you can read the manual

Building a server is no different than building an office, multimedia or gaming PC
yes, but no. (per my original post) this is the question: why does my gaming board meet the minimum server requirements, but the motherboard manufacturer is not listing it as a supported o.s., and more than this, they come right out and say that server isn't supported (did you miss that)

Why you want to build a server in the first place, and not get something ready-made? I doubt you'll save a lot of money, especially for powerful server
saving money wasn't a listed objective
i don't want to build a server
but there's an idiom that goes "if you want what you want, you have to build it yourself" or maybe that was "if you want something done right" uh, because, why didn't you buy a commercial off the shelf server

Thanks for down-voting... It seems you know all the answers already, why you bother asking?

Microsoft page has listed "Minimum" requirements for its Server OSes. But your application could add additional requirements: eg SQL server will need more RAM, probably specialized storage for databases etc, and there's no universal solution. If all these four workstations will be doing is accessing shared folders and printers, then just provide the storage, and presto. Web server would need RAM, and probably even better processor(s). Again - the application you'll run on that server will guide you for specifications.

But - do you need redundancy? How long your office can survive without that server? Do you need backup?

And you have to ask Asrock why they don't provide Server OS drivers for their fancy boards. May be because they don't want to bother, may be because server motherboards are quite different than gaming boards. Ask them.

And these "Accessories" are no different for server motherboards (and enclosures) than for other ones. Again - without the specs, noone can tell you "Buy this enclosure, this cable, this fan, this PSU".

Good luck with your project! If you don't need a server, but want to build one (and money is not an issue) - go and build one! Or buy one, or rent one - plenty of options!

hmazuji

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
But - do you need redundancy? How long your office can survive without that server? Do you need backup?
absolutely. might as well close the office when this server goes down. i have a backup plan and a ups, so i am being careful despite not focusing on redundancy
you have to ask Asrock why they don't provide Server OS drivers for their fancy boards. May be because they don't want to bother, may be because server motherboards are quite different than gaming boards. Ask them.
i asked them. waiting for an answer. it's possible that intel has drivers for their networking hardware, but amd may not have the server drivers for their b450 chipset
Good luck with your project! If you don't need a server, but want to build one (and money is not an issue) - go and build one! Or buy one, or rent one - plenty of options!
no, the options are limited. the motherboards on the market are not retail boxes with included interfaces between their headers and case / power supply. and server manufacturers don't want to do any extra no or new work, so they're building their servers with the same 3rd generation hardware that was obsolete five years ago

and 'no' again, i don't have all the answers. no one does. life is too complicated today for any one person to have that ability

hmazuji

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
this is a duplicate question found here:

i want to use the asrock b450 itx ac as a server, but asrock is telling me that server is not supported, even though it meets microsoft's minimum server requirements

so, i don't like trial and error. i sent asrock this question, why is server not supported, but maybe someone here would know

hamoo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2014
i read somewhere that you can use any desktop to host windows server, but this isn't true

asrock is stating loud and clear and for the record that the gaming motherboards do not support windows server

USAFRet

Titan
i read somewhere that you can use any desktop to host windows server, but this isn't true

asrock is stating loud and clear and for the record that the gaming motherboards do not support windows server
They may not give you "support", but it will run.
And they may not have specific drivers for that OS.

I used to run Windows Server 2008 on an old cheesy Sony VAIO laptop. No 'support' from Sony, but it ran just fine.

I have run Server 2003, 2008, and 2010 on an older Gigabyte board. The reason they say it won't run is because they don't want to take the time making drivers for the chips. However, if you get a board with big-name chips (Intel and AMD, for example) throughoutout the board - USB controller, NIC, northbridge, etc - you shouldn't have any issue getting the system to work. Worst case you have to download drivers, if they don't come with Windows already. In my case, some drivers, like for the sound card, I didn't even bother with, since I didn't need it.

TRENDING THREADS