[SOLVED] I need to change the motherboard I'm not sure what will fit HP envy750

steeleb

Honorable
Jul 9, 2014
Motherboard HP Model 828A 9.4" x 9.4" uATX what sizes will fit my case will a. mATX fit. I'm confused

Solution
u is the symbol for micro so mATX and uATX are the same thing. A standard mATX motherboard should be fine and the only concern you should have would be GPU and power supply upgrades since both will run into length issues.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
u is the symbol for micro so mATX and uATX are the same thing. A standard mATX motherboard should be fine and the only concern you should have would be GPU and power supply upgrades since both will run into length issues.

Solution
If your case is also a HP branded one for an OEM PC, you should look closely at the motherboard connectors for the front panel of the case before buying a new motherboard. Sometimes OEM manufaturers use different - non standard - connectors for the power switch, power LED, reset switch and HDD led.

If they in fact are different from standard connectors, you can't use a different motherboard with the same case.

If the connectors are standard, there is of course no issues in using the same case - but it is worth checking out before going ahead with buying a new motherboard.

Last edited:

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
If your case is also a HP branded one for an OEM PC, you should look closely at the motherboard connectors for the front panel of the case before buying a new motherboard. Sometimes OEM manufaturers use different - non standard - connectors for the power switch, power LED, reset switch and HDD led.

If they in fact are different from standard connectors, you can't use a different motherboard with the same case.

If the connectors are standard, there is of course no issues in using the same case - but it is worth checking out before going ahead with buying a new motherboard.
All connectors are standard the only restrictive thing about any of this is GPU and psu lengths as both will be tight for upgrades.

I'm not sure if you mean this specific case, or every OEM case and OEM motherboard in general. I'm not familiar with the PC in question in this thread, so hopefully it has standard connectors.

However I was helping someone with a brand new Acer Desktop PC recently (decent specs as well, z370 Chipset, standard ATX form factor, i7 8700K and a RTX2070), and he wanted to switch to a different case than the Acer one, but keep the hardware - this proved impossible as all connections for the switches and HDD LED and PWR LED were unlike anything that would be considered standard, thus the motherboard did not connect to a differnt case. They were integrated into one, and the header was similar the connectors used on some modern graphics card coolers (usually RGB ones) to connect the cooler to the GPU PCB (I believe they are 12 or 14-pin, but I don't recall specifically).
Some front panel connectors on pre-builts look the same, but the pin layout may be different. This is a problem for instance, if the case has one plug that combines all the connections to the front panel, and the pin layout of the new motherboard doesn't match. Then you'll have to cut wires and rearrange them.
Sometimes you can attach some of the front panel connectors and leave the rest of them disconnected to make it work, other times, like the Acer I mentioned, the connector is of a completely different type.

I still have the Acer case sitting in my basement, as the person wound up ordering both a new motherboard and case. So I can esaily provide pictures.

Some Dell computers, for example, use 5-pin headers for the fans, it is easily fixed by using a specific adaptor. But the layout of the pins and socket are fashioned in a way so they don't physically fit a 3 or 4-pin fan.

All connectors are certainly not standard on all OEM Pre-built PC brands like Acer, HP, Dell etc., if that's what you meant. If you meant they are standard on this particular case, that's great for the OP ;)

Note that I'm specifically erferring to pre-builts by the likes of Acer, Dell, HP and so on. I'm not referring to parts you buy seperately (non-OEM), or pre-builts by different computer component stores.

I hope the OP is able to switch everyhing over, with no problems, I just felt it was worth checking beforehand. But everyone are free to ignore my suggestion.

Last edited:

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
You will find plenty of HP OEM's that uses traditional wiring, I have a few shells out in my Garage right now including an envy750. Yes, that isn't the case with Acer or Dell but over the years HP has been more of using traditional suppliers over having everything custom made.