[SOLVED] I need to connect my hdd to my motherboard, what do I need?

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I’m working on building my first pc, and I have no idea what to use to connect my hdd to my motherboard. I have a 2.5 inch 320gb hdd, and my motherboard is the Dell optiplex 9010 motherboard. Thanks to everybody in advance.

searlec

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
I’m working on building my first pc, and I have no idea what to use to connect my hdd to my motherboard. I have a 2.5 inch 320gb hdd, and my motherboard is the Dell optiplex 9010 motherboard. Thanks to everybody in advance.
Connect a sata cable to the motherboard sata connectors (they are numbered and usually located at the bottom right of the mother board and the bottem left of the HDD) The HDD can be in one of the hdd bays in your case. Some bays are built for 2.5 " or there are screw positions to accomodate 4 screws in the bottom of the HDD tray. Next connect one of the 15 pin connectors from your power supply to the HDD. Look at the plug ins , male and female and you'note there's only one way sata cable or power cable will connect.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
That is a bad idea to do when building something. There are a lot of "how to build a computer" guides out there, read through a few before you start on the system. People end up with damaged CPUs, fried motherboards, etc.. when not following directions properly.
Yep. I’ve seen a few so I know the general idea of building them, but I’ll definitely watch one or two more to help me. Thanks!