Question I need to connect some devices in a building 200 feet from my home

stevenmichelsen

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
I am installing a security camera setup (four cameras, box with hard drive and ethernet port) in a shack about 200 feet from my home. I need to set up a wireless connection between my home and the shack. I figure I will need a wired device in my home to connect with the shack, and "something" in the shack to connect to my home and plug into the security device with ethernet. Can someone please recommend a pair of devices - one in my home wired to my router, and one in the shack - that will allow me to connect devices in the shack. Thanks!

-- Steve

What you are looking for is a outdoor point to point bridge.
My normal recommendation would have been ubiquiti nano station 5ac loco for about $50 each. There seems to be issues with availability they tend be hard to get. You can get similar units from say tplink or engenius. You do not need much special at the short distance you are going. Many of these units can go many kilometers when mounted on small towers. Be aware these are not real fast maybe you get 100mbps. If you have huge money companies like ubiquiti do sell units that can run more than 5gbit.

You do need a clear line of sight and you want to mount them high enough so someone doesn't part say a truck between the units.

stevenmichelsen

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
Thanks for that. I see that point to point bridge units are often sold in pairs. Is this the sort of thing you're suggesting?
Amazon.com: Ubiquiti NanoStationM2 Bundle of 2 NanoStationM Indoor/Outdoor airMAX CPE Router - NSM2 : Electronics

I also see there's a bunch of cheaper options, like this...
Amazon.com: Wireless Bridge,UeeVii CPE-452 Point to Point 5.8G Long Range Outdoor WiFi CPE with 14DBi High-Gain Antenna,24V PoE Adapter,2 LAN Port,for Network and Surveillance Range Extension,2-Pack : Electronics
I am going to guess I ought to keep away from this sort of thing?

Last edited:
Those ubiquiti ones are not the cheapest ones. They have the term "loco" in the cheaper ones. Mostly it is the distance they go because the loco ones are smaller physically. Problem is nobody seems to be selling them.

I see lots of that ueevii brand it seems very new. I have no idea how well they work. This is a pretty simplistic function so I would think it works ok. Be careful it appears it only uses a proprietary form of PoE which means you must use their power injectors

kanewolf

Titan
I am installing a security camera setup (four cameras, box with hard drive and ethernet port) in a shack about 200 feet from my home. I need to set up a wireless connection between my home and the shack. I figure I will need a wired device in my home to connect with the shack, and "something" in the shack to connect to my home and plug into the security device with ethernet. Can someone please recommend a pair of devices - one in my home wired to my router, and one in the shack - that will allow me to connect devices in the shack. Thanks!

-- Steve
A wireless link REQUIRES a clear line of sight. You didn't say if that was possible. The house unit, would ideally be mounted outside pointing at the shed. The shed unit would also be mounted outside pointing at the house. The network is brought inside by a single ethernet cable that provides power and data to the outdoor units.