Question I need to factory reset my friend's laptop hard drive how can I do this? He cannot do it because his laptop screen is broken.

supremekaiqc

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
You can only do it in the original laptop.

And 'factory reset' is different than 'install'.

Fix the screen, then you can easily do an OS install.

So I would need to install his Hard dive Into my laptop instead of USB TO SATA then Install windows?

because the thing is he started the factory reset and now nothing pops up on the external screen.

USAFRet

Titan
So I would need to install his Hard dive Into my laptop instead of USB TO SATA then Install windows?

because the thing is he started the factory reset and now nothing pops up on the external screen.
No, your laptop has nothing to do with this.

And the factory reset or fresh install won't work with an external. The embryonic OS does not know anything about an external screen.

supremekaiqc

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
No, your laptop has nothing to do with this.

And the factory reset or fresh install won't work with an external. The embryonic OS does not know anything about an external screen.

so what do I need to do?
I already got him to remove his hard drive and I was about to go pick it up.

the thing is I wanna reset his windows and whipe the drive.

supremekaiqc

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
  1. You can't "install" the OS to a USB connected drive.
  2. You can't install the OS and then move that drive to a whole different system. Well, sometimes it works, but going to a laptop, almost certainly not.

What is wrong with the screen in the laptop?

LCD screen is broken so he was using external screen but since we started the factory reset now it just restarts and dont connect to the HDMI it says no signal

fixing the screen is not a solution at this point its just better to scrap the pc lol. it's really old not worth the repair
Yeah even if you install windows on the disk and it runs fine it will only display on the broken screen, you would have to go into settings and tell it to display on the external and you can't do that without seeing the internal.

If the laptop has a screen button try pressing that together with the function key, this is a bios feature and if it is supported by the laptop will work even without an OS, if it works it will switch the display to the external.

USAFRet

Titan
yeah it seem windows doesnt wanna boot, do I need to help him up with my USB drive To create a bootable Windows 10 USB that I can use for the installation ?
Yes.

Create a Win 10 install USB. You can do that from your system.
Boot from that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

supremekaiqc

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
Yes.

Create a Win 10 install USB. You can do that from your system.
Boot from that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Will do and, will give updates later tonight maybe. I have to go to his place.