Question I need to find a resistor's value of my Magnum pro 475x psu

Aug 14, 2019
Hello,
My powerlogic magnum pro 475x power supply worked well until yesterday. The computer turned of suddenly and it never boots up. Cooling fans rotates for a split second when I press power button. So after reading some articles I found that it was some failure in circuits of psu. After removing the cover I found a burned resistor. Unfortunately the resistor color code is not visible due to the burn. Is there any way I can find the resistor value.. 🤔🤔🤔
Please help me... 😔😔

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have more than one issue. It's not unheard of for a resistor to burn out. But it's not a chemical in most resistors, but a solid chunk of carbon wrapped in ceramic. They seriously do not fail on their own very often.

Considering you have a burned out resistor, there was voltage/amperage applied to that resistor that far exceeded its value, which means it's most likely there is something else that's broke before the power gets to the resistor, and simply replacing the resistor will mean the new one will burn out too.

Something caused that resistor to burn out. Unless you can figure out what, and fix that too, it's just better/safer to replace the psu, especially considering the low quality of that unit to begin with.

Reactions: Amila9731
Aug 14, 2019
Thank you for the reply,
Of course I replaced a few broken components of the psu. Now the bigger problem is replacing the resistor, because i cant find the resistance value. If some one can post a picture of the magnum 475x circuitry it would be helpfull. 😊😊

Aug 14, 2019
I am going to hazard a guess that you found a short, or drastically low resistance path in the current path of the resistor, and replaced the pertinent components?
Yes, I replaced 2 failed capacitors on the same path. I hope those were the reason to the resistor failure. The auxiliary power is still in good condition. I dont know whether this effort would be successful. But I try to fix it because I cant afford a new one right now. Is there any solutions?

Aug 14, 2019
Yes. Big give away is the lies they printed on the label. At best that's a 350w psu and even then getting close the the 12v max rating is libel to end baddly.
Oh that's quiet a big issue. Any way this psu worked for almost 5 years from 2014 with no any fault.
Which manufacturer you would recommend for buying a psu?