Question I need to power-off my PC 3 times to work

May 6, 2021
Hi all,

if I normally power-on my PC, it reaches the Win10 login window. However, if I login with my user after some time loading the screen becomes black. In this state the mouse is visible and you can also open the Task Manager with key shortcuts.

I have tested some solutions in the official documentation (Action 1, 2 and 3), and updates GPU drivers. I have also made a startup scan with a command in cmd. None of these have worked so far.

Meanwhile, my solution is surprisingly weird but repeatable.

1. Power-on PC and wait till login.
  2. Login and wait till black screen.
  3. Power-off PC (10 seconds button)
  4. Wait 10 seconds.
Repeat this till you properly login to Win10 as expected.

It is curious that it always work after 3 times. Any idea?

Best!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. F13h, 04/23/2021
SMBIOS Version: 3.3
BIOS Mode: UEFI
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3200 Mhz, (PC4-25600) CL16
SSD/HDD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB NVMe PCIe
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060Ti
PSU: Cougar GEX650 80Plus Gold 650W Modular
Chassis: Antec NX600

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include OS version, the age of your PSU(apart from it's make and model) and the BIOS version that you're on for your motherboard.

Reactions: oddik
May 6, 2021
Try installing the latest F13h BIOS version to see if that helps with the issue:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-ELITE-V2-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Also, make sure you installed the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

Thank you a lot for the reply and the suggestions.

I've updated the chipset drivers as suggested and no luck. The 3-times hack is not repetible. It was just coincidence. Sometimes works with less iterations.

I may try to update the BIOS. However, if this is some hardware-related issue, why with the same BIOS I haven't had the issue in several months? I mean, shouldn't this issue be a software issue?

May 6, 2021
May 6, 2021
I have tried to uninstall GPU drivers and device and the same issue. I have also switched to a single monitor and the issue is the same.

May 6, 2021
Create a second user on the system and see if that one also has the issue loading.

Thanks for the suggestion! Just created and tried with a new local account. The same issue. I've also tried to play with initial services in System Configuration (msconfig). Nothing quite consistent. I started removing one by one till almost having a minimal startup. Then I progressively added non-Microsoft services and Startup items and seem to work. Then I selected normal startup and also seemed to work. All of this was using Restart mechanism, not Power-Off.

When I turn off the PC the issue returned.

Edit: I've just tried to select "Diagnostic startup", power-off, power-on and the issue also happens.

Last edited: