i need to re install windows but don;;t have a working computer for the drive format/deletions :(

Cruel_Ashes

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
hi all, i don't have a lot of time right now, i have to go in 5 minutes so i will write this quick.

basically i was installing a new cpu and damaged my motherboard pins in process, pc wouldn't boot properly and it was just boot looping. so I've ordered a new motherboard but here is the problem. how can i possibly install windows on my SSD i previously had windows on if there is no way for me to delete or format the drive? what could i possibly do? i just realised this and now i am panicking not knowing what to do as i now as i have spent quite a lot of money on this pc over the years and now im suddenly without a pc and stuck scratching my head, ordered a new motherboard and now when it arrives i won't be able to use it! please help. thanks for reading.

Solution

Exact same replacement motherboard is likely to work OK. It will probably boot right up. Probably.
However, accidents happen. See my...

Cruel_Ashes

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

ah i never thought of that, i could do that.would there be a way of transferring any files over to my hdd before formattin? as i have alot of things that would be basically impossible to replace otherwise. if not then i am going to have to take the loss of alot of things that frankly will practically be irreplaceable :/

thanks for your help.

Simon Anderson

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
you could try install Windows over the top (i.e. without reformating) but that's always a bit messy i find... might be different with windows 10 not sure... There's probably an option to "repair previous installation" or "install new instance" or words to that effect... you'd wanna install new instance preferably, just without formating the drive... Repair never seemed to work that well... again, windows 10 might have ironed out those kinks...

But preferably, rip the drive out and plug it in to another PC to copy data across. Or get an external housing, shove yer SSD in there then you can just plug it in to USB of another PC.

Or just buy a new SSD: you can never have too many SSD's right? :) Install windows on to the new one. Or transfer stuff off then take old SSD out again and sell it :D

USAFRet

Titan

With a new motherboard, you really need to do a clean install. Not a "repair".
You need to plug that drive into something else, and copy off any personal data you want.

For stuff that is "irreplaceable ", you need a backup of that anyway.

Cruel_Ashes

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

would being the same motherboard help in any way? or is some things such as the model or chipset have to be same (same mobo basically) because i ordered the exact same motherboard.

reason im asking is i don't have another computer other than this laptop im writing on atm and i don't think it would be practical opening it up to add a temperary ssd to transfer files but then again, i did say this stuff is irreplacable. maybe that's just my own mistake for not making backups. i used to back things u, but when files sizes started getting very large i thought it was more of a job than a safety net.

USAFRet

Titan

Exact same replacement motherboard is likely to work OK. It will probably boot right up. Probably.
However, accidents happen. See my sig pic.

Backups? $50 USB drive and some free software that runs on its own schedule. Not a 'job'.

Solution

Cruel_Ashes

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

i am now writing this on my pc. I installed the new motherboard and launched into windows. no problems, all the drivers installed themselves and the ones already there were fine.

i did buy windows 10 oem key 2 days ago though so there goes £30 but i don't care. as i now have my mentioned irreplacable files.

thanks for the help i just have one more question. do you know of a good backup program as you mentioned? i don't want to be in this situation again :)