Question I need to recover data from my dead hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

simoatk

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2013
Hello all,

I need to recover data from my dead hard drive

I have 500GB Harddisk 'Hitachi MAY-2012 , suddenly is not detected by bios , and not detected by os . my os is ubuntu , i also test it in windows 10 , also not detected . i purchased from internet 500GB Harddisk 'Hitachi JUN-2012 .I replace my old PCB of 500GB Harddisk 'Hitachi MAY-2012 with the new PCB of 500GB Harddisk 'Hitachi JUN-2012 and still not detected .
Please help me
i will be thankfull
Simon

Last edited:
Is the disk visible from "lsblk -f" under Linux? Detecting its existence is different than detecting partitions. If it shows up, but fails to allow mount, then there is more hope than if it just doesn't show up at all. If it doesn't show up at all, then try a different SATA port. If it fails to show up on any port, then you are somewhat screwed. If this is an old style mechanical platter hard drive, and if it shows up but fails to mount, then there are ways to maybe get some of the data back. On the other hand, the other user is right: It has to come from a backup or from a data recovery service (if electronics are bad such that the disk does not have an electrical interface a data recovery service will disassemble the drive and put replacement electrical parts in it to make it available; if it is the disk platter and not the electronics, then there are tools to pull available data and accepting lost blocks which normal mount would fail under).

DSzymborski

Titan
You can't just slap on a replacement PCB and expect things to work. It's a more involved process.

https://www.donordrives.com/pcb-replacement-guide

And, in any case, more often than not, it's not an issue with the PCB.

This is most likely now a job for a professional. It can be fairly expensive, but just like not replacing the filter in your furnace or the oil in your car, skipping preventative maintenance -- in this case, regular backups and ideally multiple backups -- can be very expensive.

Reactions: Tac 25

USAFRet

Titan
I recently had a hard drive die on me. My heart sank upon seeing the message that it had failed. As a web developer, I knew immediately that there was no hope of retrieving my work. I tried everything possible to resurrect this project and salvage what I could, slowly losing hope as each day passed. Finally, after a week of trying to recover data from the dead hard drive, I gave in and purchased a new one. This article will teach you how to recover data from a dying hard drive and how you should do it (and why).
You should never be in a position to have to try to 'recover' data from a dead or dying drive.

This is what proactive backups are for.
If any of my drives were to die right now....completely dead...I'd just recover the data from the very recent backup.

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Status
Not open for further replies.