[SOLVED] I need to restart a service each time to make it work

derek wildstar

Reputable
Feb 14, 2020
Hi
Since I don't have a public static IP I signed up a DDNS service in order to get access to a few service in my LAN server from the Internet. I followed this instruction and it works properly:
https://www.dynu.com/DynamicDNS/IPUpdateClient/Linux

I run:

systemctl status dynuiuc.service

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dynuiuc.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Sat 2021-01-16 14:26:35 CET; 2min 39s ago

Although the service seems to be working, my IP is not updated automatically at any system startup unless I run the command:

systemctl restart dynuiuc.service

write down my user password in the pop up windows
Then, I run systemctl status dynuiuc.service again, and this time, I can see that my public IP got updated:

gen 16 14:33:27 jack-pc /usr/bin/dynuiuc[4336]: Configuration of /usr/bin/dynuiuc read from file /etc/dynuiuc/dynuiuc.conf
gen 16 14:33:33 black-pc /usr/bin/dynuiuc[4336]: { IPv4 Address: xx.xx.xx.92, IPv6 Address: }

What did I fail to do and understand here?
I'd like to make it work and got my Ip update at the system startup. Do I need to set a cronjob or something?
Could you please help me figure it out?
Thanks

Solution
If I'm not mistaken, the location you mentioned is where the default configurations exist when you install that program (/lib/systemd). I believe that configuration file gets copied to /etc/systemd/system, which is where the systemd services exist and are executed from.

If I'm right, what I would try is adding the 2 lines to that service in the /etc location. So it would look like what I have below. Of course, make a backup of the existing configuration. I don't really know anything about the service you are running, I'm only speculating that it is starting too soon since it works fine after you restart it.

Code:
[Unit]
Description=Dynu IP update client daemon
Wants=network-online.target
After=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=forking...

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Hmm, can you copy/paste the contents of dynuiuc.service here?

I wonder if it needs to be configured to start the service until after the network adapter is up?

Code:
[Unit]

derek wildstar

Reputable
Feb 14, 2020
Hmm, can you copy/paste the contents of dynuiuc.service here?

I wonder if it needs to be configured to start the service until after the network adapter is up?

Code:
[Unit]

What is this?

file

/lib/systemd/system/dynuiuc.service

Code:
[Unit]

[Service]
Type=forking
PIDFile=/var/run/dynuiuc.pid
ExecStart=/usr/bin/dynuiuc --conf_file /etc/dynuiuc/dynuiuc.conf --log_file /var/log/dynuiuc.log --pid_file /run/dynuiuc.pid --daemon
ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Thank you

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
If I'm not mistaken, the location you mentioned is where the default configurations exist when you install that program (/lib/systemd). I believe that configuration file gets copied to /etc/systemd/system, which is where the systemd services exist and are executed from.

If I'm right, what I would try is adding the 2 lines to that service in the /etc location. So it would look like what I have below. Of course, make a backup of the existing configuration. I don't really know anything about the service you are running, I'm only speculating that it is starting too soon since it works fine after you restart it.

Code:
[Unit]

[Service]
Type=forking
PIDFile=/var/run/dynuiuc.pid
ExecStart=/usr/bin/dynuiuc --conf_file /etc/dynuiuc/dynuiuc.conf --log_file /var/log/dynuiuc.log --pid_file /run/dynuiuc.pid --daemon
ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Solution