I need to run six monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

futurebless

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hello, I am a day-trader for a living and I spend 16+ hours a day on the computer, however, I know next to nothing about hardware. I'm having a computer built that I was under the impression would run 6 monitors. It has two(2) AMD Radeon 6450 Graphics Cards which I thought could run three monitors each, but when I looked into it, I kept seeing that I need displayport monitors. So I decided to go with a third video card.

My motherboard has the three PCI-e slots required for all three and is CrossfireX enabled. Are three AMD Radeon 6450 Graphics Cards compatible with eachother? I haven't found a straight answer on this.

If not, what does my third graphics card need to be?
and is there any other hardware that I'll need to install it?

Thanks in advance

inanition02

Distinguished
You can't crossfire three of those cards. But they should all run together. And should give you 6 monitors if you care nothing for gaming (which it seems you don't).

That said, if the cards say they are capable of "eyefinity" then you don't actually need displayport monitors to run three monitors on each card, you just need an "active" adapter, like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

Solution

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
You might want to look into Matrox cards, they specialize in this sort of thing.

Here's a single card that can drive 16 monitors:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/press/releases/2009/process_control/mission_critical/mseries_octal/

futurebless

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
@Inanition Yes they are Eyefinity enabled cards. From the site I ordered them from:

"AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology
Native support for up to 3 simultaneous displays"

So the middle port on the card is a Displayport? I thought it was an HDMI.

@Magic Pants Thanks but I've already ordered the cards

futurebless

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Cyberpowerpc is building my computer. All they say is "Major Brand powered by AMD." with a link to AMD's site. For the specifications they list everything from the 6450 page on AMD's site. I just noticed the fine print that says "this specification is subject to change without notice. Please look up manufacture specification for detail reference."

inanition02

Distinguished
Well, certain models of the 6450 support eyefinity and some don't. The eyefinity cards must have at least one display port, whereas the non-eyefinity cards have HDMI in it's place. Either way you should be good with 3 cards.

futurebless

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Thanks for your, help, I guess I'll just have to wait until I receive my computer in the mail to know if I have a displayport or not. Just one more question though, you said I wouldn't be able to crossfire those three cards, but I would be able to run them together. Whats the difference between running the three cards together and crossfiring them?

inanition02

Distinguished
Basically, in a Crossfire scenario, the cards are connected internally (physically and via drivers) so that they can combine their processing power and memory to create one image - better and faster than any of the cards could alone. The 6450 does not have the physical connectors or driver support required to accomplish this connection across 3 cards (as it would not be desirable with cards at that level).

Running the independently does not provide the performance or quality enhancements, but still lets them create independent images. And this is what you want - you want each card creating 2 separate images (for a total of 6), not all 3 cards working to produce one large/fast image.

futurebless

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Okay, I finally understand now. So now I know that either way I'll have to spend an extra $50 either for two displayport adapters or another video card. Thank you so much Inanition02, I was really stressing out about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.