[SOLVED] I need to upgrade my pc and got overwhelmed (advice needed)

TristanO

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016
Hello to be quick I am upgrading my ryzen build after sometime having it the original build was around 600$ for the full pc and monitor and has done me well. Now is the is the time to replace the mobo and cpu Ryzen 5 2400g and Gigabyte B450M ds3h I have ordered a r7 2700 but I think it won't be enough I am thinking of canceling to get this combo Amazon.com: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO Wi-Fi (AMD Ryzen 3000/X570/ATX/PCIe4.0/RGB Fusion 2.0/2xM.2 Thermal Guard/Gaming Motherboard) with AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 8-core, 16-Threads Unlocked Desktop Processor: Computers & Accessories . The only issue here being the 3800xt is said to be not worth the price I am open to any suggestions even switching to intel if it's worth it. Basically if you were sitting with a mobo limited to 3200mhz and a R5 2400g what would you choose to replace them to get high frame in most games 1080p max settings ik the gpu is important in that just pretend I have a good one.

Solution
Hello to be quick I am upgrading my ryzen build after sometime having it the original build was around 600$ for the full pc and monitor and has done me well. Now is the is the time to replace the mobo and cpu Ryzen 5 2400g and Gigabyte B450M ds3h I have ordered a r7 2700 but I think it won't be enough I am thinking of canceling to get this combo Amazon.com: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO Wi-Fi (AMD Ryzen 3000/X570/ATX/PCIe4.0/RGB Fusion 2.0/2xM.2 Thermal Guard/Gaming Motherboard) with AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 8-core, 16-Threads Unlocked Desktop Processor: Computers & Accessories . The only issue here being the 3800xt is said to be not worth the price I am open to any suggestions even switching to intel if it's worth it. Basically if you...
Hello to be quick I am upgrading my ryzen build after sometime having it the original build was around 600$ for the full pc and monitor and has done me well. Now is the is the time to replace the mobo and cpu Ryzen 5 2400g and Gigabyte B450M ds3h I have ordered a r7 2700 but I think it won't be enough I am thinking of canceling to get this combo Amazon.com: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO Wi-Fi (AMD Ryzen 3000/X570/ATX/PCIe4.0/RGB Fusion 2.0/2xM.2 Thermal Guard/Gaming Motherboard) with AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 8-core, 16-Threads Unlocked Desktop Processor: Computers & Accessories . The only issue here being the 3800xt is said to be not worth the price I am open to any suggestions even switching to intel if it's worth it. Basically if you were sitting with a mobo limited to 3200mhz and a R5 2400g what would you choose to replace them to get high frame in most games 1080p max settings ik the gpu is important in that just pretend I have a good one.

That Gigabyte B450 motherboard isn't bad - you know you can just update the bios and install a Ryzen 3000 cpu into? B450 will even be getting a bios update for Ryzen 5000 series parts early in the new year. The memory can also be upgraded once you change the cpu as the memory controller is part of the cpu on Ryzen - the reason you can only use DDR4 3200 is due to it being a Ryzen 2000 based cpu not the motherboard. That said memory tests have shown decent 3200 mhz DDR4 is within ~ 5% of the fastest memory kits in games so upgrading ram won't gain you very much - the processor jump from a 2400G to a 3000 or 5000 series cpu will be huge though.

A Ryzen 5 3600 or 3700X would both be really good upgrades, or if you can get one the 5600X (which is about the best gaming cpu available at the moment).

Solution

TristanO

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016
That Gigabyte B450 motherboard isn't bad - you know you can just update the bios and install a Ryzen 3000 cpu into? B450 will even be getting a bios update for Ryzen 5000 series parts early in the new year. The memory can also be upgraded once you change the cpu as the memory controller is part of the cpu on Ryzen - the reason you can only use DDR4 3200 is due to it being a Ryzen 2000 based cpu not the motherboard. That said memory tests have shown decent 3200 mhz DDR4 is within ~ 5% of the fastest memory kits in games so upgrading ram won't gain you very much - the processor jump from a 2400G to a 3000 or 5000 series cpu will be huge though.

A Ryzen 5 3600 or 3700X would both be really good upgrades, or if you can get one the 5600X (which is about the best gaming cpu available at the moment).

So I had gotten the 3200mhz limit from the motherboard specs on the website but if your certain it's reliant on the cpu than I will save my money. After talking to some people im probably going to wait for the 3700x to stabilize in price and keep my motherboard and instead upgrade my storage and possibly ram while there are still sales going on. Thank you for your help if you have any suggestions for good ram/nvme ill check them out.

Reactions: cdrkf
So I had gotten the 3200mhz limit from the motherboard specs on the website but if your certain it's reliant on the cpu than I will save my money. After talking to some people im probably going to wait for the 3700x to stabilize in price and keep my motherboard and instead upgrade my storage and possibly ram while there are still sales going on. Thank you for your help if you have any suggestions for good ram/nvme ill check them out.

Here is a link to the official memory support list for your motherboard paired with a Ryzen 3000 series cpu (they haven't done one for 5000 series yet):

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_b450m-ds3h_matisse.pdf

According to that you can go up to DDR4 3600 memory with a 3000 series part.
The safest option is to go with a memory kit that is on that list although other similar kits should also work. Note that there is no point going above DDR4 3600 (Ryzen 3000) or DDR4 3800 (Ryzen 5000) due to how the memory controller works. The memory is tied to the chips internal 'infinity fabric' which is what moves data between the cores - this is why fast memory really helps Ryzen cpus as the internal fabric speed also increases. The issue though is the fabric can't go above a certain speed, so if you go for say DDR4 4133 memory, the processor drops the infinity fabric clock down and uses a multiplier to memory which actually hurts performance.

For Ryzen 3000, 3600 is the limit where the fabric can keep up with the ram, this is supposed to go a little higher on 5000 series processors,