[SOLVED] I need to upgrade my PC but with Amazon and others delaying shipping, I don't know where to buy from in Canada right now. Thanks!

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Hi, I need to upgrade my PC but with Amazon and others delaying shipping, I don't know where to buy from in Canada right now.

I still need to research parts but I know I'll need a new case, a new CPU, possibly a new aftermarket cooler, possibly a better SSD as mine is an M.2 at SATA rates and before the newer tech came out, like... 3D NAND is it? (I just looked and I currently have a 500GB Samsung M.2 850 EVO) and new ram (DDR4) as this system has DDR3 ram, yes, DDR3. lol Oh, and I'll want 32GB.

I hear for ram G.Skill is a great choice these days, and Corsair has some slick cases out now. My current system uses a micro-ATX Asus Z97m-plus but the lack of room for upgrades and cards is a huge PITA that I refuse to go through again, so I'll be wanting either a mid or full sized board/case. Money is obviously a bit tight with all that's going on right now but I have to get this upgrade so I'll be looking at an Intel K processors, but probably not the most recent gen, maybe 1 gen behind for cost savings, which will still be wayyyyy better then my current i5 4690K. :)

Now, when I got the i5 the thought back then was that there weren't enough programs out that would take advantage of an i7 unless you did a lot of video editing, or rendering of complex 3D modeling, which I do have some skill in and do use sometimes, but I wasn't sure if that still held true today, or if software today can actually make use of those extra cores.

My current case is a Fractal Design Mini which is do love for it's quietness, but what they've been able to do with LED's and Light Tubes and software are pretty slick, so I am at least THINKING of going with a more see-through case, but I wasn't sure how much that'll impact the amount of noise I hear with current case tech.

I'm not big into OCing other than factory set OCing and things like the BIOS's own "Turbo" features and I may adjust voltages a BIT but I'm pretty conservative so I won't need 6 RGB fans running full tilt in this thing. :)

I'll be reusing my Nvidia 1070 graphics card for now, my Asus SOAR sound card, my other hard drives and my monitor, which is 4K 10bit mainly because I do photography. I'll probably (I hope) be able to reuse my power supply. I THINK (I can't quite see its model atm) it's a Corsair modular 650W. I'm assuming the connectors for the components haven't changed since I got it but I could be wrong, and since newer tech as moved towards lower power draw, I'm hoping a 650W power supply will still be enough.

Any assistance you can give me as to where to buy right now, that isn't delaying shipping for a month like Amazon is, and any suggestions on parts would all be greatly appreciated!

So in closing, RGB's are cool, but noise is not. I did see a YouTube video where a guy had a completely clear case (probably Corsair) and everything had a light blue glow and it even had what actually looked like streams of electricity that would randomly run from one end of the case, through some of the components, and to the front of the case. I mean, that is some very cool........... well, you know. ;)

Thanks!

DM

Solution
Problem is, even if online shops are NOT delaying shipments, some delivery companies ARE. If you can get it locally (order online for pickup), that would be optimal. Otherwise, I have not heard that Newegg.ca has delayed shipping. (They may have and I just didn't hear about it).

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Problem is, even if online shops are NOT delaying shipments, some delivery companies ARE. If you can get it locally (order online for pickup), that would be optimal. Otherwise, I have not heard that Newegg.ca has delayed shipping. (They may have and I just didn't hear about it).

-Wolf sends

Solution

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I'm noticing on Newegg.ca that a lot of Intel's CPU's don't say, X cores, 2xX Threads, but a few do. Did Intel do away with Hyperthreading? Is there much of an impact on performance? Just for cost savings since this wasn't an upgrade I really wanted to do just yet, I might get an 85XXK or 87XXK but I'm not sure with the lack of hyperthreading. I don't keep up on this stuff until I need to. lol

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Thanks.

so, as I wasn't wanting to do an upgrade atm, and with this damn virus it's not exactly a great time to be spending money, so what Intel CPU would you suggest that is unlocked, has hyperthreading, but isn't going to break the bank? I currently have a i5 4690K for reference, so that's pretty long in the tooth. lol

I went i5 back then because at the time, not a lot of programs really took full advantage of an i7, which probably isn't the case anymore.

Thanks!

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Would that be to get the 10th gen, which I think will use a new socket for the motherboard, or to lower the price of the 9 series? I know AMD is rolling out PCIE4.0 now. I would have to look to see what Intel has done. I do know that Intel is a bit behind AMD atm as far as "official" support for the fastest DDR4 ram.

I was going to wait until DDR5 came out but since it's dragging, and not expected to even be as fast as current DDR4 when it releases I probably won't wait for 5.

TRENDING THREADS