I need to upgrade to Win10 from Win8.0, also my HDD to SSD, need guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamzaT

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
Hi,

I'm running Windows 8 x64 Single Language on Asus N550JV-CN127H. I bought this computer in January 2014 and haven't formatted since.

I will get a 250 GB SSD in a couple of days and I want to clean install Windows 10. Also I want to swap my Bluray drive with an HDD Caddy and use my existing 1 TB hard drive as secondary.

I have an external hard drive that I can back up, so losing data is not an issue.
I'm also hesitant to use the integrated resetting/refreshing functions in Windows, once I tried to use system restore and it seemed to take forever. I fear that would be the case if I used them.

My question is what steps do I need to follow in order to do what I want? I need a clean computer with Windows 10 and an SSD. Also you don't need to overexplain the processes, I'm familiar with computers, just out of the loop with the whole Windows 10 thing.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Microsoft requires an authorized Win 7 or 8.1 install be upgraded to Win 10 to create an "activated" copy of Win 10. After you do this, you can wipe and do clean installs as often as you want. The new activation process is linked to your Microsoft account rather than a product key. If you do a clean install without upgrading, it will not activate.

Here are the steps I recommend:

1) Backup documents, favorites and whatever else you want to save. Gather any drivers you want to use from your MB maker like Intel chipset and especially NVidia video and put on a thumb drive. If you let Windows install NVidia, it will install two or three things for gear you probably don't have (like 3d glasses) and omit the PhysX driver, so you have...

USAFRet

Titan
To Upgrade from Win 8.1 (not Win 8, there is a difference), and get the OS ona new drive:

Couple of ways forward:
1. Upgrade to Win 10 on your existing drive.
Connect the new 250GB SSD, and clone from the old drive to the new drive. This requires that the total used space on the current drive be below 200GB or so.

2. Connect the new SSD, and clone from te old drive to the new drive. Again, this requires the total used space be below 200GB or so.
Then Upgrade that Win 8 to Win 10

3. Upgrade to Win 10 on your current drive
Obtain the Win 10 ISO install, via the MediaCreation tool from MS
Make a USB or DVD install
Put in the new SSD, and do a clean install on the new SSD. This requires reinstallation of all your applications, etc.

whisper2

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Microsoft requires an authorized Win 7 or 8.1 install be upgraded to Win 10 to create an "activated" copy of Win 10. After you do this, you can wipe and do clean installs as often as you want. The new activation process is linked to your Microsoft account rather than a product key. If you do a clean install without upgrading, it will not activate.

Here are the steps I recommend:

1) Backup documents, favorites and whatever else you want to save. Gather any drivers you want to use from your MB maker like Intel chipset and especially NVidia video and put on a thumb drive. If you let Windows install NVidia, it will install two or three things for gear you probably don't have (like 3d glasses) and omit the PhysX driver, so you have to run the NVidia package anyway.
2) Go this this MSFT website https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and run the x64 tool.
3) Use the tool to create a Win 10 ISO for either a DVD or a thumb dive.
4) Use the tool to upgrade your existing install.
5) Change your hardware and only connect the hard disk you want Win on (either with cables or BIOS).
6) Disconnect the internet. This will keep Win from installing drivers you don't want and make it easier to set up a local account. If you want to use a Microsoft account, you can change later,
7) Install Win 10, and the drivers you want and reconnect any unconnected hard drives.
8) Reconnect to internet.
9) Win 10 probably will activate and download updates almost immediately. If it doesn't, go to Settings, Update & Recovery. There you will find Activation and Win Update.
Good Luck!

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Actually, its not even tied to your MS account. None of my upgraded machines have an MS account, and I've done a clean install after Upgrade on a couple of them.
It is the motherboard info, rather than your MS account.

whisper2

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

I agree the MB info is how MSFT is identifying the system but it does show up under "Your Devices" in the MSFT account. I too, did a clean install with a local account but it still shows up in my MSFT account.

The point I was trying to make was that MSFT changed the method of activation and the key codes are not necessary for the free upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.