Question I need Undervolt/Underclock guides for MSI RX 580 ARMOR OC 4GB ? 88C-89C When Gaming

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hi, my brand new MSI RX 580 ARMOR OC 4GB was hitting around 88C-89C when gaming out of the box from day 1. Soon after, it started black screening and i had something to do. I used Radeon Software tuning for custom fan curve, fans were set to spin 100% at 76C and it still would get to 85C under load and black screens would still happen time to time. So i compromised performance and set power limit to -40%. I would get around 76C under load with fans still spinning to almost 100%, but now it was safe so i left it there. It would run like this for months...

Today, i decided to change thermal paste. I used my last sealed/unused thermal paste from around 8 years ago. I kinda used much, but i guess it's Ok. Temps went down quite well. I removed power limit and left fans at 100%, now i was hitting around 80C-82C compared to 88C-89C , but it was still too much for me so now, my power limit is set to -25% and fans are at 100% again. I get around 70C-75C under load, but i have increased performance.

FurMark Score with 0 power limit - around 74 fps average / fans at 100% 89C (before changing thermal paste)

FurMark Score with -40% power limit - around 49 fps average/ fans at 100% 76C (before changing thermal paste)

FurMark Score with -25% power limit - around 64fps average/ fans at 100% 73C (AFTER changing thermal paste) Default max Core clock 1366Mhz, runs at 830-840mhz with -25% power limit.

I need your help to provide good guides/tutorials for undervolting/underclocking. I have seen some on undervolting, but they don't explain it very well.. some only change stage 7 mv and some say you have to change all stages. I can't seem to find any on underclocking, but i found out, in essence , it's the same as overclocking , but opposite.
For some reason when i opened custom tab for tuner, by default last 3 stages are set to 1150mv, but my 3rd or 4th stage is set to 1156mv. Isn't that weird?

So my goal is to achieve low temps around 65C-75C without having to set "minus" on power limit using undervolting + underclocking if necessary. I don't care if i still have to use fans at 100%, but would be better if i don't. This will be done inside Radeon Software tuner, i don't use MSI afterburner or any other 3rd party sofwatre.

Last edited:

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Spend 12 bucks on a new tube of brand name thermal grease, if not Grizzly Conductonaut and use it. That way you can enjoy the performance of the gpu you spent hard earned cash on. You used thermal grease older than the model of your gpu.
I will repaste it, but I'm still interested in undervolting. I think I'm getting hang of it. I'm trying to find lowest stable mv for stage 7 and then lower other stages 10-15mv lower than previous stage , all the way down to stage 2. If you can tell me how to approach lowering core clock would be great. Let's say I find and set stable mv for stage 7 lowered core clock, how do I approach lowering core clocks for other stages?