[SOLVED] I need Windows

Dec 12, 2018
I bought a gaming PC from my Daughters friend. He said I need to install windows on it. What is the easiest way to do this? Can I get it out of an un-used PC or should I just buy it?

Solution
You don't need a license key to download or intsall Windows 10 on any system.
You only need a key to activate the installation once it's installed. (and you don't necessarily have to activate, as others here have confirmed.)

You can grab the media creation tool directly from Microsoft here: Installation Media Creation Tool
It can help you create a USB drive with the installer on it, or you can dump it to an ISO file so you can burn it to a DVD if you need that instead.

A license key from a prebuilt system (HP, Dell, whatever) is usually an OEM key, that is tied to the specific machine it came with (usually the motherboard). You can activate Windows 10 on the machine the key is from.. but you can't activate that...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can try to transfer it from an unused pc, you can run it unactivated forever for free or you can buy it. it's up to you really.

obviously i'd try to use it from an old pc. on that old pc, connect it to your MS account and then it should activate on the new pc if you follow all the instructions found here.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-transfer-windows-10-license-new-computer-or-hard-drive

you can download the iso to install it from here whether your transferring, buying or running it unactivated. all the same installer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Wolfshadw

Titan
That depends:

More than likely, the old PC has an OEM version of Windows 7 installed. This version cannot be installed onto another PC (without Microsoft graces).

What you can TRY to do, if you have the product key for Windows from the old system, is download Windows . If it doesn't accept your product key, you're out of luck and will need to purchase a new license. Also, if this is the case, this is where I say, "don't bother" and just run Windows 10 without activation until you can afford a legit license.

-Wolf sends

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
MS finally closed the accessibility loophole to upgrade for free. but i still see reports all over than folks are still able to upgrade for free using the normal method of downloading the media creation tool i linked above and simply selecting "upgrade this pc" seems better than 50% chance it still upgrades and activates no problem.

if it does, then you can transfer that to the new pc as noted above. worth a shot anyway if you got the time to sit and play with it a bit. while messing with the old win 7 machine you can still install win 10 to the new pc and start using it unactivated. then if it all works out, you can activate it from your MS account or wait to buy a key. either way your still using the pc and not really missing anything. unactivated leaves everything intact except for a couple personalization options.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Windows 10 is much more forgiving that previous versions when it comes to introducing new hardware, but there is never any guarantee of success. One of three things will happen if you try:

1) It will work without issue.
2) It won't work and you will need to perform a clean install.
3) It will sort of work and you'll be chasing demons until you perform a clean install.

Given that the old PC is running Windows 7, I'd expect either of the latter two to occur.

-Wolf sends

Dec 12, 2018
Here are the other components I bought for him,

DREVO Tyrfing V2 87Key RGB Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

MSI Optix MAG271C Black 27" Curved FHD 1080p 1ms (MPRT) 144 Hz AMD FreeSync Gaming Monitor

Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical 11-Button Scrolling Gaming Mouse

Logitech - G PRO Wired Surround Sound Gaming Headset

Wolfshadw

Titan

Post the image to an image sharing site like imgur or tinypic. Get the image url (not the page url) and use image tags as in the example below:

Code:
[img]https://www.myimagelocation.com/myimage.jpg[/img]

To get the image url, go to the page url, right-click in the image and select, "View Image". Then copy the address from the address bar.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan

A legitimate Windows license will cost you around $90-$120. You can get the from retailers like Newegg or Amazon (note to use these retailers and not "marketplace" retailers).

Wolf sends

Full disclosure: I recently purchased a Windows 10 license from Newegg and it turned out to be a pirated Windows key. It took a few extra days, but Newegg sent me another key. No telling if that key might expire at anytime, but at least this one did activate.

well that is disturbing, maybe the only good place to get a copy of windows now is directly from their website

chrisbphoenix

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
You don't need a license key to download or intsall Windows 10 on any system.
You only need a key to activate the installation once it's installed. (and you don't necessarily have to activate, as others here have confirmed.)

You can grab the media creation tool directly from Microsoft here: Installation Media Creation Tool
It can help you create a USB drive with the installer on it, or you can dump it to an ISO file so you can burn it to a DVD if you need that instead.

A license key from a prebuilt system (HP, Dell, whatever) is usually an OEM key, that is tied to the specific machine it came with (usually the motherboard). You can activate Windows 10 on the machine the key is from.. but you can't activate that key on another machine. (I've had 100% success with Windows 7 keys on the same machine working in Windows 10, even a clean install; Vista not so much...)

Solution

chrisbphoenix

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

Looks like an old x58 platform to me.
Markings look like an ASUS P6X58-E WS motherboard.
This would be running a Socket LGA 1366 Intel processor. (Likely an i7 or Xeon)
It clearly has 3-channel memory (6 Sticks)
Video card is some AMD model, probably HD 5000 or 6000 series, based on the age of the platform.

Value is relative, you can look up the going rate on ebay for the parts. But the platform as a whole is getting pretty old nowadays. This would have been extremely high end at the time, but that time was 8 years ago.