I need YOU to advise me!

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Hello guys!!

it's 11-februari, by b-day was yesterday so i have a total amount of 1200 euro's to buy a new system.
BUT: i only want to spend 800- 900 euro's, not more!

today i have 3 shops that offered me things they want to sell me for 800, 900 and 1100 and 1300 euro's.

the most important thing is, that i want to spend 800 euro's for Phenom system, and more for intel (i7)

BUT, is it worth to spend so much money extra on I7? is it so more ''futureproof?'' ? (i don't know what futureproof is in computer language= it doesn't even exist, but you never know!)

okay: i need a system that can live 5 years for basic apps, and it has to game for 3 years (while then i'm to old for gaming i suppose...)

i'm running dual screen, so i need a strong gpu. 4850 or 4870 is the lowest i want, but the price is 250 the highest for it! (when does new gpu's from ati come out? it's februari and the 48XX s from july??)
the resolution i use is 1680x1050 (if i'm correct) and the second 1280x1024...

and what is the better HDD? 750 samsung or WD?

i'm pointless, i need help for a new system :p totay i heard that i need a new case as well, so what do you guys tink of :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119104 or this one

thanks for the reply's, sorry for the chaotic post!!

Hardrives are pretty equal. Seagate and a few raptors come with a 5 year warranty. If funds are tight, I would order a basic dell and add your own video card. Last week, fatwallet.com listed the 220 vostro model with e7300 Intel cpu, 2 gigs of memory, and 19 inch monitor for around $450 shipped in the usa. The newer dells come with micro atx motherboards that are easier to change out. I used a dell oem vista dvd to install windows on an ecs board, then used the hp vista coa sticker number to reactivate windows for my compaq presario pc.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
For that price there are a lot of systems you could find and you could very well build it yourself, if you want a system that will give you three years of gaming competitive performance you best bet would be the 4870, moreover you can get AMD mobos that support hybrid crossfire so you will be able to use dual cards for better performance,there are many am 2 + and am 3 ready mother boards out there that are priced very well and could fit your budget.....and NO it is not worth spending money on an i7 system right now for two reasons, first, they are coming out with better 32 nm technology before the year runs out and the i7's made under that technology will provide better performance overall and probably be priced the same whereas you will be stuck with the older version even though you paid the same price, secondly the i5's are coming out this year too and they are geared towards users like you and me providing higher functionality at a more competitive price and they too will be in 32 nm. The AM3 and AM2 + phenom 2's provide similar performance at a MUCH better price and will cover all of your needs just fine (in gaming the phenom 2 actually out performed the i7 in benchmarks even though overall the i7 is more powerful but i doubt that you are into movie editing and stuff like that so you won't really need the i7).....lately western digital has released some really good Hard Drives moreover HDD's are cheap nowadays you can get a 640 gb hdd off the internet for cheap or you could buy multiple hard drives of smaller capacity and use them in combination its up to you. the case you have looks good so i think you are good to go, your best bet would be to stick to AMD for now AM3 will pretty much have you covered as long as you have a nice phenom 2 to go with it...intel's i7 is very powerful however they are moving to better technology right now and they are still gonna release a lot of new stuff in the coming months so unless you plan to wait for the i5's or the 32 nm i7's stick with AMD.

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
thanks for the nice replies guys!!

i'm not in a hurry i guess, my pentium 4 runs basic apps great, but the gaming is taking a leap down!

i'm interested in am3, but they aren't available yet (belgium= europe) and i'm waiting till october so i'm asking myself should i wait for i5? and how long will it take me to wait?

and when does amd come out with a new ati?

thanks !!