[SOLVED] I need your help choosing between rx 580 4gb or rx 580 8gb

May 5, 2019
the 8gb version is $30 more than the 4gb version, should I save up or just go with the 4gb version?
I've seen a lot of threads regarding this topic and a lot of people said that 4gb VRAM is more than you need, but as the year went by, games need more VRAM
for example, Cyberpunk 2077's recommended VRAM is 6gb
so, is buying the RX 580 4gb worth it?

My PC
i5 2400
12GB RAM
GPU (need your help)

I'm from South East Asia.

Solution
Worth is something only YOU can determine.
Do not buy based on just specs.

VRAM has become a marketing issue.
My understanding is that vram is more of a performance issue than a functional issue.
A game needs to have most of the data in vram that it uses most of the time.
Somewhat like real ram.
If a game needs something not in vram, it needs to get it across the pcie boundary
hopefully from real ram and hopefully not from a hard drive.
It is not informative to know to what level the available vram is filled.
Possibly much of what is there is not needed.
What is not known is the rate of vram exchange.
Vram is managed by the Graphics card driver, and by the game. There may be differences in effectiveness between amd and nvidia cards...
May 5, 2019
Go for the 8GB variant. It''s going to be more future-proof as well. Are you on 1080p screen ?? This all depends on the GAME's ENGINE, and other optimization stuff. Some new AAA games do require more VRAM. Next-gen upcoming consoles are also going to be a deciding factor.
How much is the price difference? If it's not muchit's 100% worth. It's also much more future prood.

Thank you for the help i'll buy the 8gb

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
May 5, 2019
Go for the 8GB variant. It''s going to be more future-proof as well. Are you on 1080p screen ?? This all depends on the GAME's ENGINE, and other optimization stuff. Some new AAA games do require more VRAM. Next-gen upcoming consoles are also going to be a deciding factor.
How much is the price difference? If it's not muchit's 100% worth. It's also much more future prood.
hey um, the rx 580 8gb is out of stock
so my option now is between rx 570 8gb or rx 580 4gb
which one should i get?

i play in 1366x768, maybe will upgrade to 1080p

Worth is something only YOU can determine.
Do not buy based on just specs.

VRAM has become a marketing issue.
My understanding is that vram is more of a performance issue than a functional issue.
A game needs to have most of the data in vram that it uses most of the time.
Somewhat like real ram.
If a game needs something not in vram, it needs to get it across the pcie boundary
hopefully from real ram and hopefully not from a hard drive.
It is not informative to know to what level the available vram is filled.
Possibly much of what is there is not needed.
What is not known is the rate of vram exchange.
Vram is managed by the Graphics card driver, and by the game. There may be differences in effectiveness between amd and nvidia cards.
And differences between games.
Here is an older performance test comparing 2gb with 4gb vram.
Spoiler... not a significant difference.
A more current set of tests shows the same results:
http://www.techspot.com/review/1114-vram-comparison-test/page5.html

And... no game maker wants to limit their market by
requiring huge amounts of vram. The vram you see will be appropriate to the particular card.

Reactions: sh0rky
Solution

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
It will depend on the games you plan to run. On Resident Evil 2 (the remake) it displays the required VRAM on the graphics options page. 4GB is easy to exceed on that title. I actually crashed RE2 while adjusting the graphics settings when I tried to push the quality settings too high.

Reactions: sh0rky
With the old monitor you are using and the older CPU it does not really matter. If you will get a 1080 screen, the CPU can hold back any game that would want to have 8 GB of video RAM to run.

Did you check that your power supply can run the card? And that your motherboard will work with it? Older and OEM motherboards can have issues with quite a few newer models of video cards.

May 5, 2019
With the old monitor you are using and the older CPU it does not really matter. If you will get a 1080 screen, the CPU can hold back any game that would want to have 8 GB of video RAM to run.

Did you check that your power supply can run the card? And that your motherboard will work with it? Older and OEM motherboards can have issues with quite a few newer models of video cards.
I just bought a new psu 500w with an 80+ rating from gamemax
and my Mobo is gigabyte h61m-ds2(rev 5.0), it can run Rx 460 but Im gonna check anyway

I just bought a new psu 500w with an 80+ rating from gamemax

That brand doesn't sound to be much familiar when it comes to quality PSUs. Avoid using this PSU... Could also be a basic 80+ unit. I would surely advice you to use some other high-quality PSU, if you have plans to upgrade your GPU. Don't skimp on the PSU. This is the MOST important PC component.

Grab some quality units from BE QUIET, EVGA, Corsair, ANTEC, FSP, and other similar brands (upper TIER units). Not saying that the Gamemax unit won't be sufficient for your PC, but I doubt the quality/efficiency of that PSU.

Just my thoughts.

May 5, 2019
That brand doesn't sound to be much familiar when it comes to quality PSUs. Avoid using this PSU... Could also be a basic 80+ unit. I would surely advice you to use some other high-quality PSU, if you have plans to upgrade your GPU. Don't skimp on the PSU. This is the MOST important PC component.

Grab some quality units from BE QUIET, EVGA, Corsair, ANTEC, FSP, and other similar brands (upper TIER units). Not saying that the Gamemax unit won't be sufficient for your PC, but I doubt the quality/efficiency of that PSU.

Just my thoughts.

I've seen reviews of it (in my country) and the reviewers said it hasn't given him any trouble since he bought it,but i'll still upgrade my psu later on

I've seen reviews of it (in my country) and the reviewers said it hasn't given him any trouble since he bought it,but i'll still upgrade my psu later on

What's your budget ? Where are you located ? Can you grab one of these similar Models ? I'm listing 550W units, but if you think you require more power for some extra headroom, then you can increase the wattage.

EVGA Supernova G3:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sM...ed-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0550

SEASONIC Focus PLUS GOLD::

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bk...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fx

CORSAIR RMX:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bq...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020177-na

May 5, 2019
Thank you guys for all the help, I've decided to buy the Rx 580 because I will probably upgrade it next year or so and I will get a new psu to minimize my chances of blewing my PC up.

Goku Kakkarot

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
It has already been Answered but I would like to point out few things.

First of all there is no such thing as "Future Proofing" when you are selecting the card on the basis of VRAM.

Consider, all current games are working fine @1080p. You want to buy 8GB variant for Future Proof.

What if RX580 is not strong enough (Core frequency, shader model, etc) to play future titles in highest settings at good Frames? You'll have to tune down settings to get the playable frames. In that case your VRAM utilization will be reduced as well! So did it really worth buying 8GB?

The only situation where I will suggest you to buy 8GB is when you are planning to play @1440p.

My R9 270x 2GB just died. And I was able to play all the current titles at High settings @1080p without getting VRAM limitations.

So 4GB will be enough. There is no future proofing. You can see how low frames it is giving in modern games like AC Odyssey.

https://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=3879&graphics=Radeon RX 580 4GB

Reactions: Metal Messiah.