[SOLVED] I nicked a barrel capacitor on my motherboard

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
I have a OEM PC with a H460M motherboard, I installed nylon standoffs to install a new CPU cooler since the one it came with from the OEM was allowing my i7 10700 to reach 90C in benchmarking/stress testing. I realized the stand offs were not necessary and impedance and I could just screw the new cooler into the motherboard with some screws and a washer. I hand tightened them but now trying to remove them they weren't budging. So I took the next course of action and got a wrench (all I had on hand) to remove them. On one of the corners the stand off was close to a barrel capacitor and I nicked it, it didn't come off but I bent it. Are they easily moveable? I sort of just positioned it back to straight up, installed the new cooler and ran bench marks. My CPU was now not thermal throttling, should I be worried about that capacitor?

Solution
If the system is operating, not much to worry about.

If it was a through hole electrolytic, they can be moved and bent quite a bit before there is a problem. They have wires going through the base into the capacitor.

If it is a surface mount one and it moved significantly, that could be bad, possible the solder pad broke underneath, but if you were able to bend it back, it was probably the above.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If the system is operating, not much to worry about.

If it was a through hole electrolytic, they can be moved and bent quite a bit before there is a problem. They have wires going through the base into the capacitor.

If it is a surface mount one and it moved significantly, that could be bad, possible the solder pad broke underneath, but if you were able to bend it back, it was probably the above.

Solution