I/O Device Error on Internal Hard Drive

Ryan10000

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014
I just built my computer 3 days ago, and everything is working fine, except my 1tb WD Blue that I've had about a year and put into this computer to use to store larger files and games. It is not my boot drive. I was trying to make a copy of GTA IV (not that it matters) the file is about 15gb. However the issue happens with other files aswell. I'm copying it to the same folder as the original and at the same percentage every time is hangs and never recovers. I've been getting the I/O Device error but the solutions were all for external drives. I've never had issues with this particular drive before this issue started last night. My SSD and Disk drive work fine so I don't know what to do from here.

I have also used a few different utilities like acronis and HD Tune and both told me the drive was fine.

I just unplugged the sata cable from my disk drive and used that to get data from the hard drive, still fails on the same exact file every time. This eliminates the fault of the cable, motherboard and I also tried another power cable for the drive.

I'm going to format the drive now to see if that clears the issues up, hopefully it does.
Thanks.

Ryan10000

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014
Code:

I actually use Speccy to check temps of my components, so I already had it. Anyway this was the result from my hard drive.

Bs7abxx.png

Like I said, I just formatted it and I am redownloading all of my games that I had, so in an hour or 2 I will know if that worked, which, hopefully it did.

Ryan10000

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014
I formatted the drive and installed GTA IV again to test if the issues continues. Fortunately, it solved the issue and it still leaves me wondering what the issue was.

So, the answer was to reformat the drive.

Jacob_39

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Is it bad if i dont have anything under smart values? im having the same problem as you