I/O Device Error with Card Reader

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Hey all,

Been having an issue with the card reader on my PC. It's connected USB to the motherboard. It originally had Win. 7 Pro (probably 32-bit) on it, but I wiped it and put XP Pro on it. When I went to test it out, I put in an 8GB MicroSDHC card in an adapter and it didn't do anything, no autoplay popup or the sound it makes when you attach something USB. Instead, when I clicked the drive icon, it gave me this error:

F:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I\O device error.

I tried a different card, a 16GB, and it was the same deal. I tried it with a 256MB CF, and a 1GB MSDuo/Pro and it worked.

I have another PC with an older mobo (ASUS P4P800VM from 2003) with the same type of card reader and all of them work just fine. I did some digging and found a couple of hotfixes from Microsoft that didn't work either. I am thinking it's an issue of the size of the cards. I had looked for a solution online and found that sometimes cards bigger than 2GB don't work on some readers?

The card is a generic USB 4-in-1 type reader. Device ID is USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_GENERIC&PROD_USB_SD_READER&REV_1.00\058F312D81B&0
Machine is a made-to-order (in 2006 or 07) with an Intel DQ965GF, C2D E6300, 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 RAM. Hitatchi 164GB SATA HDD.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
You may be missing a Windows update that enhanced removable disk storage capacity support.

Also, try uninstalling it in device manager, and then uninstall all of your USB root hubs and reboot.
(You will lose USB keyboard and mouse support untill you reboot. make sure power management settings are not set for Do Nothing or Take no Action for power button action.)

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
You may be missing a Windows update that enhanced removable disk storage capacity support.

Also, try uninstalling it in device manager, and then uninstall all of your USB root hubs and reboot.
(You will lose USB keyboard and mouse support untill you reboot. make sure power management settings are not set for Do Nothing or Take no Action for power button action.)

Solution

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Dr thanks for the reply. Windows is up to date, so I don't think that's the issue. All the hotfixes I tried said that my system is already using it.

I tried uninstalling the USB devices, but it still won't read the card. It does the smaller cards fine, but I don't have a USB card under 2GB so I can't test it in that capacity.

Let me know if you think of anything else.

Thanks!