I opened my USB 802.11b adapter - help me locate the anten..

Can anybody help me find the antenna inside my MSI-branded 802.11b USB
adapter? I am going to insert the thing into a can as the probe for a
cantenna, and want to make sure I orient the antenna along a radial line
inside the cylinder.

Is it the gold square in the second picture? Or maybe the gold nodule in
the upper-left corner of that picture?

Pictures are here:
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~tshaynes/msi/

Thanks!!
Tim

Tim Haynes <timhaynes@no.spam.please.alumni.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> Can anybody help me find the antenna inside my MSI-branded 802.11b USB
> adapter? I am going to insert the thing into a can as the probe for a
> cantenna, and want to make sure I orient the antenna along a radial line
> inside the cylinder.

> Is it the gold square in the second picture? Or maybe the gold nodule in
> the upper-left corner of that picture?

> Pictures are here:
> http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~tshaynes/msi/

The lump in the upper left looks like what has been discussed before as a
test connector, deliberately filled with potting gunk to make it unusable
once the device leaves the factory.

The foil loop looks like it might be the antenna.

What is the FCC-ID of this widget? That might lead to more information on
the http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/help.html pages.

The http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_main.asp page has "Parts &
Accessories" that looks a lot like my "DLink" 802.11b-mini-USB.

I don't see your gadget there, though. What's the model number?

In any event, the radiation is probably off the front face.
I would suggest an orientation like mine, using the cantenna page to decide
where to position it, based on the Inner Diameter of your can.
http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/usb-can/im000742-800x600.jpg
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

--
---

> The foil loop looks like it might be the antenna.

That's my hunch, too.

> What is the FCC-ID of this widget? That might lead to more information on
> the http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/help.html pages.

I'll have to check when I get home.

> The http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_main.asp page has "Parts &
> Accessories" that looks a lot like my "DLink" 802.11b-mini-USB.
>
> I don't see your gadget there, though. What's the model number?

The model number is UB11B.

> In any event, the radiation is probably off the front face.
> I would suggest an orientation like mine, using the cantenna page to
decide
> where to position it, based on the Inner Diameter of your can.
> http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/usb-can/im000742-800x600.jpg
> http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Thanks for the advice - I think you are right about the front face
radiation. I'm going to orient mine the way you have done yours and see how
things turn out.

Thanks for the advice!!
Tim

:
: Pictures are here:
: http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~tshaynes/msi/

Photo 4906, upper-left. But I'm not quite sure as you're photos are not
precise enough..

m.

--
Marcin Lukasik
Milea Wireless Communications, http://milea.pl

,,the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys''

"Marcin #ukasik" <user@email.invalid> wrote:
> : Is it the gold square in the second picture? Or maybe the gold nodule in
> : the upper-left corner of that picture?
> :
> : Pictures are here:
> : http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~tshaynes/msi/

> Photo 4906, upper-left. But I'm not quite sure as you're photos are not
> precise enough..

I might think 4906 lower left is a ceramic antenna, but there are
suspicious elements that look like interruptions in the gold foil loop,
like the black blob between the blue chip and black chip, on the line.

--
---

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:58:15 +0100, "Marcin £ukasik"
<user@email.invalid> wrote:

>: Is it the gold square in the second picture? Or maybe the gold nodule in
>: the upper-left corner of that picture?
>:
>: Pictures are here:
>: http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~tshaynes/msi/
>
>Photo 4906, upper-left. But I'm not quite sure as you're photos are not
>precise enough..

It's the blue rectangular thing in the lower left (labelled WTC).]
It's a multilayer ceramic strip line antenna. My guess it's a "blue
chip" antenna made by Centurion.
http://www.centurion.com/home/antenna_images.asp

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:58:15 +0100, "Marcin £ukasik"
> <user@email.invalid> wrote:
>
> >: Is it the gold square in the second picture? Or maybe the gold nodule
in
> >: the upper-left corner of that picture?
> >:
> >: Pictures are here:
> >: http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~tshaynes/msi/
> >
> >Photo 4906, upper-left. But I'm not quite sure as you're photos are not
> >precise enough..
>
> It's the blue rectangular thing in the lower left (labelled WTC).]
> It's a multilayer ceramic strip line antenna. My guess it's a "blue
> chip" antenna made by Centurion.
> http://www.centurion.com/home/antenna_images.asp

Wow - awesome bit of analysis there Jeff. That is really helpful to know,
and something I would never have thought of myself. Do you think that if I
position it in the centre of the can (the appropriate distance from the back
as per the cantenna calculations page) that that would be the best
positioning of it?

Thanks again!!
Tim

<dold@XReXXIXope.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
> Tim Haynes <timhaynes@no.spam.please.alumni.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>
> > The model number is UB11B.
>
> I don't see that
> http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=UB11B&class=com
> looks like your photo at all. The FCC ID might be informative.

It's definitely the same one (of course, I took the plastic casing off so I
could photo the innards).

I have uploaded higher resolution photos (the ones I had posted had been
resized down to save bandwidth). See anything interesting anew?
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~tshaynes/msi/

Thanks
Tim

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:26:52 -0500, "Tim Haynes"
<timhaynes@no.spam.please.alumni.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

>> >: http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~tshaynes/msi/
>> >
>> >Photo 4906, upper-left. But I'm not quite sure as you're photos are not
>> >precise enough..
>>
>> It's the blue rectangular thing in the lower left (labelled WTC).]
>> It's a multilayer ceramic strip line antenna. My guess it's a "blue
>> chip" antenna made by Centurion.
>> http://www.centurion.com/home/antenna_images.asp

>Wow - awesome bit of analysis there Jeff.

No analysis. It just helps to have some experience with the
components. Each antenna vendor seems to have their own favorite
product color.

>Do you think that if I
>position it in the centre of the can (the appropriate distance from the back
>as per the cantenna calculations page) that that would be the best
>positioning of it?

Actually, it really doesn't matter much if the radiation centroid is
in the exact middle of the can or off to a side. The can antennas
that have a 1/4 wave antenna on a coax connector bashed in through the
side, are certainly not in the exact center. The boresight antenna
alignment might be a bit off if the feed isn't quite centered, but
everything else will be roughly the same.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

: It's the blue rectangular thing in the lower left (labelled WTC).]
: It's a multilayer ceramic strip line antenna. My guess it's a "blue
: chip" antenna made by Centurion.
: http://www.centurion.com/home/antenna_images.asp

Oh, you may be right. Didn't know that they're manufacturing on-chip
antennas... Well ;-)
Anyway, as I wrote before - I think that it is a connector in a upper-left
corner of the board. Looks like the one from Orinoco a/b combo pcmcia card.

m.

--
Marcin Lukasik
Milea Wireless Communications, http://milea.pl
phone/fax/mobile: (++48) 13 4480070 / 13 4481148 / 509 390 490

,,the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys''

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:54:34 +0100, "Marcin Lukasik"
<user@email.invalid> wrote:

>: It's the blue rectangular thing in the lower left (labelled WTC).]
>: It's a multilayer ceramic strip line antenna. My guess it's a "blue
>: chip" antenna made by Centurion.
>: http://www.centurion.com/home/antenna_images.asp

>Oh, you may be right. Didn't know that they're manufacturing on-chip
>antennas... Well ;-)
>Anyway, as I wrote before - I think that it is a connector in a upper-left
>corner of the board. Looks like the one from Orinoco a/b combo pcmcia card.

I think it's a u-FL connector. See:
http://www.hirose.co.uk/productreleases/ufl.htm
http://www.hirose-connectors.com/products/U.FL_5.htm
Difficult to tell from your photo. More detail required.

Orinoco uses a different connector.
http://www.chem.hawaii.edu/uham/hnet.html

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

: I think it's a u-FL connector. See:
: http://www.hirose.co.uk/productreleases/ufl.htm
: http://www.hirose-connectors.com/products/U.FL_5.htm
: Difficult to tell from your photo. More detail required.
:
: Orinoco uses a different connector.
: http://www.chem.hawaii.edu/uham/hnet.html

Yes, it's uFL. Orinoco a/b combocard pcmcia uses EXACTLY the same,
not MCCard. But as I wrote, combo cards only..

m.

--
WLAN FAQ: http://milea.pl/pl/wlan-faq/
WiFi NEWS: news://news.milea.pl/

main() {int j=-1;char t[]="eYadlg2eYj[af8ead]Y&hd\n";while(t[j]!='\n')
{putchar(t[++j]+'\10');} return 0;}