Question I overclocked my CPU and temperature readings say 100°

Gdolike

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
1. After overclocking my CPU all the programs I tried (like 5 of them MSI afterburner, Core Temp, CPUID and some other one) showed that all my cores are at 100 degrees Celsius. Doesn't budge anywhere.... The temperatures don't seem to really go that high as I went back to the BIOS and it said 60°. But just in case my CPU starts overheating in the future I want to know it. Any ideas guys?

2. I'm using Intel i5 6400 2.7 GHz. I overclocked to 3.5 GHz with 1.2 V. Do you guys think this is healthy overclocking and it will last a couple of years?
I tried 4 GHz at first with 1.3 V and 1.25 V and I also overclocked the RAM a bit from 2000 MHz to like 2600 MHz but went back to 2000 as I didn't need that much FPS and decided that less volts and Hz will lengthen the lifespan of my parts. Am I thinking correctly and should I change my finalized settings? Currently 3.5 GHz 1.2 V. (Ran OCCT test for 1 hr, no problem there)

I edited all that)

Last edited:

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
1. After overclocking my CPU all the programs I tried (like 5 of them MSI afterburner, Core Temp, CPUID and some other one) showed that all my cores are at 100 degrees Celsius. Doesn't budge anywhere.... The temperatures don't seem to really go that high as I went back to the BIOS and it said 60°. But just in case my CPU starts overheating in the future I want to know it. Any ideas guys?

2. I'm using Intel i5 6400 2.7 GHz. I overclocked to 3.5 GHz with 1.2 V. Do you guys think this is healthy overclocking and it will last a couple of years?
I tried 4 GHz at first with 1.3 V and 1.25 V and I also overclocked the RAM a bit from 2000 MHz to like 2600 MHz but went back to 2000 as I didn't need that much FPS and decided that less volts and Hz will lengthen the lifespan of my parts. Am I thinking correctly and should I change my finalized settings? Currently 3.5 GHz 1.2 V. (Ran OCCT test for 1 hr, no problem there)

I edited all that)
Inadequate cooling or a broken cooler, whats the current cooling setup?

Gdolike

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
time to buy a new one you burnt it. naw just messing however what kind of cooler do you have?also you should take it apart and re apply the paste use very little less than a bb size
Inadequate cooling or a broken cooler, whats the current cooling setup?
https://archiwum.allegro.pl/oferta/cooler-intel-intel-e97379-003-ce-cndp-dtc-dab-16-i7203003070.html
This is some cooler pics I found online, it's basically like mine. And the cooling system seems to be fine, thermal paste as well. I think I'm getting false stats from monitoring programs.

Edit: never really presented my cooler before.... uhm, it goes 2500 rpm when CPU is at 100% and stuff, uhm...

Maybe this picture will help you guys View: https://imgur.com/a/CIJK1rF

Last edited:

Gdolike

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
have you tried using HWinfo ?
post the hwinfo sensor page picture here and you should try xmp for ram before using th cpu multiplier and try not to overpass safe voltages on both .
Not sure about xmp, but I downloaded HWinfo and I'm not sure what you guys mean by a page picture, but I can post a screenshot of the CPU temps, I thought it would say 100°, but to my surprise it was just above 40 on all cores, quite fascinated why all other programs would show 100...
60 degrees in bios is still crap, that's inadequate cooling by definition
That was after some gaming tests.
edit: yeah he's using a stock cooler while overclocking, that's a recipe for overheating & instability.
I see what you are saying, I'll try to do something about that if the factual temps are high while in high load.
How exactly are you overclocking a locked cpu?

As mentioned, a factory intel cooler is certainly not optimal when trying to overclock. Looking at the chart posted, it seems it doesn't budge from 100c. That's throttle territory. So as asked above, please post the hwinfo sensor page info.
I learned that it is possible to do with a Z170 motherboard, and luckily I had just that ^_^ I guess I'll post a screenshot of the sensor page, if that's what you guys are asking.
View: https://imgur.com/a/u1Ch0Lt

Jun 10, 2019
In your BIOS, is there something like CPU unlock or unleash? When overclocking my old Phenom II x6 1055T, no matter the program, i either got no temp reading, or a static 0 degree reading while CPU unlock was enabled.

How exactly are you overclocking a locked cpu?

As mentioned, a factory intel cooler is certainly not optimal when trying to overclock. Looking at the chart posted, it seems it doesn't budge from 100c. That's throttle territory. So as asked above, please post the hwinfo sensor page info.

You overclock a "locked" CPU by changing FSB in the bios and not the multiplier. Since the FSB is a direct link to CPU and RAM (among many others), this requires additional steps and adjusting.

Last edited:

Gdolike

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
this is on idle that to high and what is the cpu fan speed .on idle and load .
1200/2500 RPM
You overclock a "locked" CPU by changing FSB in the bios and not the multiplier. Since the FSB is a direct link to CPU and RAM (among many others), this requires additional steps and adjusting.
I see, and when you say that it requires additional steps, what do you mean by that? Did I do something wrong? Are my parts in danger?

Jun 10, 2019
The FSB connects the system chipset, RAM, Northbridge, and PCI lanes, among some other things to the CPU.

So this means when increasing FSB to increase CPU speeds, you're also increasing speeds to all these other things. Main things to worry about will be HTT+NB and Ram.

I always set HTT and NB to the same speed instead of auto , because if the HTT drops below NB speed, it will crash (possibly other way around). The max speed depends on CPU. With my Phenom II x6 1055t I ran them at 2400 I believe ,for best performance.

You'll then have to manually set your RAM speeds (after FSB adjustment) to get them stable.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's not an OC, as defined by most normal ideas and usage. What you've done is a BCLK OC, which is not exactly a brilliant idea as the buss clock is the speeds of communications in everything from data transfer, ram, cpu even gpu and pcie is affected.

The only ppl who really mess with BCLK OC are using LN2 due to the massive heat that it can generate and the ability to lower core multipliers yet raise cpu speeds. It's easier to get a x64 with 120 BCLK stable than a x66 multiplier and 100 BCLK.

Basically a 130 BCLK OC on that cpu is like running a factory stock Honda, and dumping 12 gallons of jet fuel in the gas tank. Something will give out sooner or later.

Jun 10, 2019
The only ppl who really mess with BCLK OC are using LN2 due to the massive heat that it can generate and the ability to lower core multipliers yet raise cpu speeds. It's easier to get a x64 with 120 BCLK stable than a x66 multiplier and 100 BCLK.

It took me a bit to get it figured out, but was able to keep my temps below 75c under load with a decent budget air cooler on the phenom ii x6 1055t OC'd from 2.8 to 3.6. Stock voltage. But it was quite a bit of work and testing. But if you can't touch the multiplier, FSB is the only way to really OC. BCLK can give you a little boost, if your mobo can handle it, but not really an OC. edited with corrected info

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's old AMD, which was handled slightly differently than Intel of that rough generation, and is different again now. AMD were all overclockable cpus and you used BCLK multipliers to do the actual OC

The motherboard software like OC Genie and Turbo-V uses a BCLK OC, starts around 103MHz, steps to 105,107MHz, if you have the cooling for it. Just because it can lower the multiplier and help with stability on the cpu. Not really any mention about ram etc which gets a little wonky when xmp is set for one setting and BCLK is bumping it higher without a corresponding voltage or timings adjustment.

Playing around with a 130 BCLK, you might as well be playing Frogger, and the cpu is the frog.

The i5 6400 was not meant for OC, is not binned for OC levels, or it would have been a i5 6600k. It's a 3 legged dog of a cpu that Intel never should have released, it was handily beaten in every area except programs using over @ 80% loads on all 4 cores, by the i3-6100. I can totally understand Op wanting more out of the cpu, but honestly the best option is use it as it was intended, or replace it.

Jun 10, 2019
Okay, yea, you're right.. . It wasn't the BCLK I adjusted though as I couldn't get that past 103 with my ga-lmt78 usb3 rev.6 when I first started tackling overclocking. (was testing everything I could with a free hand-me-down unit)

They weren't all overclockable CPUs though. Phenom II had designated BE (Black Edition) for unlocked units. Mine was the non-BE, and its the actual FSB setting you adjust, not the BCLK, as that's not really an overclock as you stated earlier....

Anyway, I've never messed with Intel, always been and AMD guy. I should probably steer away from giving advice on this one.

Last edited:

Gdolike

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
OK Imma be honest, didn't quite understand a lot of that stuff xD I don't know if i seemed like a pro in this area, just read some stuff online, literally first time doing things like that. You guys just rrrambled for a while, and I'm guessing the safe conclusion is this, sadly
I can totally understand Op wanting more out of the CPU, but honestly the best option is use it as it was intended, or replace it.
Better safe than sorry :p Thanks guys
But honestly can't remember the core voltage now...