[SOLVED] I overclocked my CPU to 5.00GHz, it runs fine in some benchmarks but not well in others. Is this ok?

May 30, 2022
I recently tried overclocking my i7-9700KF to 5.00GHz using Intel XTU. I then ran the stress test built in to XTU and watched HWinfo as it had a maximum temp of 75 C. However, when I ran prime95 it skyrocketed to 100 degrees celcius before thermal throttling and me shutting down the test as I didn't want to damage my CPU. I realize that prime95 is not a good example of average loads on a CPU, but it seemed fine when I ran the intel XTU stress test. Will it be ok if I keep it overclocked at 5.00 GHz?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Edit: Cooling is NZXT x63 AIO

Last edited:
Solution
If it's not stable in some things....well...it is not stable.

Nothing magical or brag-worthy about 5 GHz....(not to be confused with 5 MHz...) :)

Lower the voltage .05V or so, and retest at 4.9 GHz....

Even if you are playing on a 3090Ti at 1080P, you can likely live with one or two less frames/sec on CS:GO or RocketLeague....
May 30, 2022
Run various other applications or programs you'd like to run and see. Prime95 represents an extreme test case and is unlikely to ever happen unless you deliberately invoke it.
I ran Cinebench R23 and got a score of 8821 (multi core) with my max temp being 83 degrees, is this an acceptable result at 5 GHz?

Last edited:
If it's not stable in some things....well...it is not stable.

Nothing magical or brag-worthy about 5 GHz....(not to be confused with 5 MHz...) :)

Lower the voltage .05V or so, and retest at 4.9 GHz....

Even if you are playing on a 3090Ti at 1080P, you can likely live with one or two less frames/sec on CS:GO or RocketLeague....

Reactions: Multyspeed
Solution

TRENDING THREADS